We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

I will be visiting Barcelona with my partner for the first time at the end of October/beginning of November. Just a couple of things I'd like to find out:

- What is the best/easiest way to get from the airport to Hotel Barcelona Princess? I gather that the Aerobus is probably the cheapest, but does it stop near to this hotel?

- Is there usually good enough weather for sunbathing/swimming at this time of year? I know that no one can predict the weather so far in advance but just looking for a rough idea.

Also, I speak some basic Spanish and I prefer to try to use the local language when I travel, but I don't speak any Catalan, although I will try to learn some basic words. Would a British tourist in BCN speaking Spanish appear ignorant/offend anyone, or is it still better to use Spanish rather than English?

Many thanks!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
7,027 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

just 50% of barcelona citizens speak catalan and 100% speak spanish so dont worry about it. learning some words in catalan will be a nice thing from you (there are so many that living here all their life did not the effort for it).

weather should be mostly sunny but it could rain too (look at meteo.cat web for the forecast few days before comming here) but for locals it is not beach time.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,874 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

Hi Sam,

I stayed at the Princess last December. I took the Aerobus to Placa Catalunya which is the final stop. From there it’s a very simple 5 minute walk down carrer de Fontanella (have a look on Google Maps) to Urquinaona metro station from where you can take the yellow line (L4) in the direction of La Pau. Buy a T-10 ticket which gives you 10 metro journeys for €10.30. It’s 8 stops to El Maresme-Forum (takes about 15-20 mins). Come out of the station, turn right, walk down (you’ll find a cash point and convenience store on that road as well), then cross the street and the hotel is right in front of you (it’s a 2-3 minute walk). The Princess is a nice hotel with friendly staff. I enjoyed staying there even though it’s a bit outside the city centre.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

Latest stats... 1.7 million inhabitants in the city (4.8 in the metro area), around 18% from elsewhere, 121 spoken languages... much like in London, huh? Catalan is indeed the local language of Barcelona and the whole region of Catalonia, but Spanish is a co-official language, studied and used at school and mother tongue of many living here due to the successive influx of migrants from other regions in Spain coming to these shores in the past few centuries. But you shouldn't be worried, English is spoken in this city (or mumbled at least, LOL!), but again, as Slatkin said, you’ll find a few choice Catalan phrases a sharper weapon in your armoury of charm: http://wikitravel.org/en/Catalan_phrasebook and if you're more into it... www.parla.cat

PS. Only those disparaging or belittling Catalan language or culture land in hot waters with many locals...

Edited: 12 August 2014, 17:12
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
111 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

Thank you for all of your answers, very helpful :) I shall certainly attempt to learn a bit of Catalan. I just hope it's easier than the Czech I attempted to learn before visiting Prague!

Hopefully the weather will be warm enough then. Being from the UK, anything above 20c is good enough for the beach for us!

Nicoleta, thank you very much for that explanation! It does look like a very nice hotel. Can't wait to go now!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,056 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

www.infocatalonia.eu/w/beyond-barcelona/ check tab "Language", scroll down and listen how it sounds in different scenarios...

6. Re: Couple of questions - first time in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2015, 06:18