We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

Southern California
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

I will be traveling to Barcelona with friends towards the end of September (18-25). We are already planning to visit Montserrat and do sightseeing around Barcelona. We now have 2 extra days on our itinerary and are debating a few options:

- Drive along Costa Brava

- Travel to one of the islands for the weekend (Ibiza, Formentera, Majorca, Menorca)

We're in our 30's and very active but not into the clubbing scene. Otherwise we have a variety of interests - primarily beautiful scenery, culture, sun, good food and wine. I don't believe any of these options are really big on historical sites so while we do love that as well we're ok with that not being the focus. This stop will be followed up by 5 days at a villa on the Amalfi Coast. So looking for recommendations as to which of our possible options may be best for the extra time in Spain.

Thank you!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
10,112 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

... I wonder, how many days have you planned for Barcelona itself? I suspect you might discover you'll need some extra days!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,621 posts
3,653 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

CapeHope:

When I go to Barcelona I always stay a week because there are so many things to see there.

If you have a rental car you could explore the Costa Brava. Besalu is one of the most beautiful medieval villages in Spain.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

Are the extra days at the end (i.e. after 25th) or is 18th to 25th your revised schedule? If the latter do you realise you're in Barcelona for La Merce, don't you? That might help fill your days in the city and leave you wanting a quiet day or two at the end.

Also you don't say how you're travelling. You might enjoy a night in Vall de Nuria with a chance to walk in the Pyrenees. You can get there by public transport but rental car might be simpler.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

I certainly don't think it's worth the hassle of the trip over to one of the islands; if that's 7 days for Barcelona during la Merce, plus Montserrat then it's quite full already

Costa Brava area does have some pretty medieval villages inland as well as the beautiful coastline, good for a day or two. Cadaqués is very special if you want to head that far north. Girona is worth a day in itself (you didn't mention that as planned from Barcelona)

For something that is more different you could go to Zaragoza for a day on the AVE high-speed train

Southern California
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

The reason I would like to see something else on the extra days is that I've been to Barcelona before, so have seen most of the tourist spots in the city already. Would therefore prefer to spend a little extra time seeing something new.

Southern California
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

Pandachris the 18-25 is the revised itinerary, with the extra days at the beginning. And we will have a car.

Southern California
Level Contributor
63 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

Thank you everyone for all the great advice. I will do more research on some of the places you mentioned, such as Vall de Nuria, Besalu, Cadaques, Girona and Zaragoza. Thank you!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,453 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

With a car and given your stated interests (primarily beautiful scenery, culture, sun, good food and win) I would definitely consider heading for the Pyrenees. We've got about 4 free days after our next visit to Barcelona (for La Merce, so at the same time as you). We're heading out of Catalunya for a couple of days to a place called Alquezar in search of Wallcreepers, a species of bird that has eluded us for years and then we're thinking of going to Tuixent which is near the stunning mountain of Pedraforca and in gorggeous scenery with lovely villages. We might stay at the simple, TV free Cal Gabriel again where the food and wine is memorable and virtually all sourced locally. Our breakfast there last year was probably the best I've ever had and the owner is a true enthusiast for local, high quality ingredients and will tell you as much about them as you like. He can even tell you which herd of cows his beef (a very local variety) comes from - they live near the bridge just before you get to the village, I think.

Equally delightful and unique is the Hostal Rural Santuari de Falgars, perched high on a ridge above lovely Poble de Lillet village and completely remote at the end of a mountain road. The food is great, thoug not quite as good as Cal Gabriel. The tranquility is unrivalled.

There are many lovely places in the area. Those are just a couple we have chanced upon. Just start the car and go.

Some Falgars pics here ...

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Pedraforca and surrounds here ...

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

and our Cal Gabriel breakfast including award-winning meats and an 'appellation controlee' type cheese here ...

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/penguinch…

This breakfast alone is enough to take is back there.

9. Re: Where to go with two extra days in Barcelona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2015, 05:17