We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Deciding on a metro pass

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Deciding on a metro pass

Hi Everyone,

I have found so much information in the forum. Thank you!

i am staying in El Born for 6 days traveling two and from the airport a the beginning and end of the stay, taking the metro some like to Parc Guell and walking quite a bit. I'm debating between the T-10 and buying more when/if I need it or buying the BCN card plus a metro pass for the morning that I depart.

I am very happy walking but my travel partner isn't as happy traversing a city by foot. Since we are staying centrally do you think the BCN card is necessary or should be be able to get away with just less than 2 metro rides a day following the transfer time requirements?

Given all that info what would be the most economical choice?

Basically I'm having a hard time getting a grasp on the size of the city. I know it is very walkable but I'm used to Paris where I may walk 5 miles a day and still take the metro 4 times in that same day.

Thanks for any help!

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

Hey all, sorry to waste the forum space. I think I came to conclusion after researching a tiny bit more. Correct me if I'm wrong but a T-10 card for each of us is better even if we need to buy two each over the 6 days. The math was pretty clear once I looked into it a bit further.

Cheers!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

... the T-10 is multiperson, you don't need to buy "one for each", you can buy just one and use it for all of you, when it's empty, just buy another one and so on.

Needless to say, if used by more than one of you, insert the card into the machine once for each of you and, EVERY time you board a new transport -even if it's within the 75' rule and you know the machine won't use up a second trip.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
16 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

Thank you, that's really cool and I wish Denver had something like that.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

... yeah, but we're heading towards personalized travelcards -much like in London- which are supposed to be in place by 2015 or 2016. Most current travelcards will cease to exist and there'll be one card (with chip) that Barcelonians will link to their bank accounts and that will manage all the travel, no matter which zone.

What's not yet clear is what will happen with the non-residents, will they have any sort of pass/card or will they simple have to pay full fare? Current transport networks in most cities are partially subsidized by local taxes paid by the residents of that city, so every time someone, be local or visitor, takes a public transport and purchases a ticket or a travelcard he's not really paying for the full cost of running it but only for part of it. There's a discussion in many cities across Europe, Barcelona included, about whether visitors should not be subsidized. I personally would think that in the end there'll be only two sort of passes, a permanent one for residents which will be linked to their bank accounts and a sort of 2,3,4 or 5-days card (much like the HolaBCN card) for visitors, which will no doubt cost much more than it costs now. Well, we'll see how it goes...

St. Louis USA
Level Contributor
82 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

Hello Enric, Destination Expert.

We will be traveling to Barcelona soon, and I am a little bit confused about the T-10 card when

traveling across multiple zones. ( eg a trip to Montserrat for example ).

Maybe this is a dumb question but

if I buy a zone 1 T-10 is that only good for travel in zone 1 ? OR does each zone crossed count as another trip on the ticket ? It wasn't clear on the FGC website.

Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,936 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

1 zone cards are valid just in 1 zone so going to Montserrat you need a 5 zones pass.

edit: FGC web can be a bit confusing because it shows all travel options. as travellers are not just departing from Barcelona (zone 1 to zone 5) it must show the cost from those who just cross 3 zones as example ( it could be someone going from Martorell, zone 3, to Montserrat, zone 5).

Edited: 25 August 2014, 19:00
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
5,317 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

But if you are going only once to Montserrat, you don't need a "5 zone pass" of course. Just buy a return ticket for the train to Montserrat on the day you want to go there, and use your one zone T-10 card for all other trips within the city. (Everything you might be interested in should be within that one central zone.)

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,839 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

It will be a shame, for visitors at least, if the T-10 disappears. It represents excellent value for money and flexibility. I visit London several times a year and usually buy one-day travel cards. We took several journeys on Saturday to the extent that I felt we almost got our money's worth, but even then the same amount of travel in Barcelona would have cost rather less and would have covered all our trips on Sunday as well.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

I have an 'oyster' card for London, just in case i don't use enough to cover the cost of a 1 day travel card. I'm on my third one due to losing the previous two...luckily i'm registered so can sign them off as lost and transfer the cash to the new card.

Hopefully something will surely be in place for tourists, as otherwise it'll be madness by the city.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,753 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Deciding on a metro pass

@travel0723,

I agree with Slatkin_10, it can be confusing because we should say "...for one zone" rather than "... for zone 1" -we darn Barcelonians are rightfully accused of being 'centralists' sometimes :)

Zones in the Barcelona metropolitan area are labelled 1 to 6 (http://bit.ly/BCNRodalies) -well, you'll also see 4A, 4B... these count as different zones too. When you buy a travel card you pay according to the number of zones you're going to be crossing by, so if you're in Zone 1 and wish to travel somewhere in Zone 3, you'd need a travel card for three zones as you'll be departing from one zone, crossing an intermediate zone (Zone 2) and finishing in yet another zone, totalling three zones. But say you're in Zone 3 and wish to go somewhere within that zone, you'd need a travel card for one zone because you wouldn't be leaving that zone. Does it make any sense?

In any case, for clarity sake, most visitors -especially if staying in Barcelona- will need only a travel card for one zone as you're unlikely to travel that much or that often outside that zone to use up 10 journeys (a full travel card). This means that if you're on a one off to say Montserrat or Sitges, unless you're a family of 5 (return trip = 10 journeys), you're likely to be better off buying single tickets.

Boy, I don't know if I cause further confusion!

============

@PandaChris:

I would imagine the BCNHola Card will remain in place albeit may be on a different format (and price). I would imagine there's going to be taken into consideration the number of visitors that come to the city. But you're right, the T-10 is an excellent value for money as it stands today, more over compared with most other international capitals here in Europe.