We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Baltimore
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

Greetings! My husband and I will be visiting Barcelona the week of La Merce' and will be staying right off Placa de Catalunya. We are looking for recommendations for great local cuisine that are not too touristy!!

Thanks so much!!

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

Budget pp per meal?

Baltimore
Level Contributor
53 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

Pandachris2

We don't have a set budget. We consider each meal a once in a lifetime experience, so are willing to throw money down for a fabulous meal. With that said, would like a range of recommendations to choose from. We tend towards more casual dining...not fans of needing to get dressed up for every meal, but willing to do it for a special experience.

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
2 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

We had a great meal at Cafe De L'Academia - Placa St Just, Lledo 1, Barcelona. It was recommended by a local and did not fail to deliver. Not too expensive - where the locals eat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

We really enjoyed Koy Shunka it's a Japanese restaurant of really quality . We had an amazing meal here our first time in Barcelona . It's not local cuisine but it's very good .

Edited: 21 August 2014, 16:30
Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

We don't really eat meals during La Merce. We tend to grab small amounts often and retain the option of a falafel or kebab late at night if we're still hungry. I haven't tried Cafe De L'Academia. I confess that I'm a little surprised to find there's a place where locals eat on Placa de Sants Just (i Pastor) and will have to check it out. Places there are typically fairly upmarket touristy. We often have a hummus pita or a cake from a place on the same square that might be called Lush or something similar. It's overpriced but the terrace is a nice place to sit.

The square is hardly an undiscovered gem but it is overlooked by many tourists and can seem surprisingly tranquil compared to many nearby locations. Worth a look.

Generally for local cuisine we now tend to head away from the centre to Gracia, Poblenou or Sants where there are many restaurants serving good quality meals at reasonable prices.

Shanghai Region...
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
23,944 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

BaltimoreBaltimore,

Barcelona is a very compact city with an excellent metro,bus and taxi network. Imagine your Lexington Market being connected to Fells Point by metro. From Plaça Catalunya, you can get to many good restaurants by a short taxi ride, by metro or by walking 10-15 min. For great local cuisine however, I would definitely go up to the Eixample area (or further).

Here are some places which I would consider. You can look them up and see if the style suits you. Caldeni (near the Sagrada Familia), Gresca, Cinc Sentits, Moments.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,061 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

For local cuisine at a place locals really do eat at, there's El Glop on Carrer Casp opposite the Tivoli theatre. Nothing fancy, not expensive, but lots of choice, and they serve meals all day incl. a set-price menu del día weekday lunchtimes (from 1pm)

8. Re: Best food options near Placa de Catalunya and beyond

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 07:16