We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car hire query

Cape Town, South...
1 post
Save Topic
car hire query

Hello

My daughter (a young driver with a credit card but doesn't want to drive) and her husband (>30 but no credit card) are wanting to hire a car in Barcelona 9-30 September. The rules state that the driver must present a credit card on hiring the vehicle. Does anyone know how to overcome this problem?

Regards

Heide

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,578 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car hire query

I don't think so. I'm trying to remember any occasions when my partner, who does not drive rental cars has booked a vehicle and used her card rather than mine when we have collected the car. I've a feeling, oddly enough, that we did this at Cape Town airport (I'm sure that I left her finalisng the payment whilst I checked the car). I'm pretty certain that my own credit card was requested when we were at the desk for our last few rentals in Spain, even though I didn't make the original booking.

Simple solutions:

1. e-mail a few rental companies and explain the situation. They are there to make money so will want to help.

2. Son-in-law get a credit card.

3. Parents/parents-in-law get a card on their account for son-in-law - this obviously implies a lot of trust that he/they won't go crazy with it. I'm certain that this sort of thing used to be possible in the UK at least.

Hopefully you will be able to work it out via option 1. It might even, if there are any of the multi-national rental companies near you in Cape Town, be worth popping in to a local office and explaining the situation. They might be able to assist. You could phone, of course but I always find face-to-face works better for stuff like this.

I imagine that they are expecting to be travelling in Catalunya/Spain, because for most tourists a rental car in Barcelona is a liability. We will be there from 20th September to 7th October but will start off in Tarragona for Santa Tecla and then spend time in Barcelona for La Merce (both recommended if they are looking for exciting things to do). We will pick up a rental car when we leave Barcelona on the 26th or 27th because it is just too much hassle and expense in the city centres.

2. Re: car hire query

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2015, 05:16