We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barcelona in December

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Barcelona in December

My mum is 60 on the 31st December and has always wanted to visit Barcelona.

I am looking at booking a trip for the family from the 27th - 30th December.

I don't care too much about the weather but I just wanted to know if anything would be open? I don't want to turn up and everything is shut for the holiday period !!

Has anyone been at the end of December that can advise please?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Barcelona in December

Is London closed in Christmas?

Edited: 20 August 2014, 12:53
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barcelona in December

I've travelled to Barcelona for those dates the past 2 years and am going again this year. It's a great time to visit and I can assure you everything will be open. The weather has actually been very nice with daytime temperatures around 17 degrees with lovely sunshine and blue skies. It does get chilly at night though. I'm hoping it will be similar this year.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,845 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barcelona in December

Enric, almost everything is closed on Christmas Day (25th) and no public transport is running that day but from 26th everything is back to normal and also the Sales start so lots of people go shopping.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Barcelona in December

It was a redundant question nicoleta, I lived in London... :)))

... what I was trying to make flashgem realize is that being a city (not a tourist resort) Barcelona behaves exactly like most other cities in Europe: most things -albeit not all!- are closed on the 25th but from the 26th onward is business as usual.

Edited: 20 August 2014, 13:27
5. Re: Barcelona in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2014, 21:32
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Barcelona in December

flashgem:

Barcelona has a population of 3 million. This city is always open.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,553 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Barcelona in December

26th is a public holiday in Catalonia so most shops are still closed and museums are on "Sunday-opening" times. However by 27th things will be back to normal

The main point is that festivities don't end on 25th or 26th December here as THE highspot for most Spanish families is Epiphany/Reyes/Reis on 6th Jan, which is when the main present-giving takes place. So between Christmas and New Year shops are busy with "Christmas shoppers" (Sales start on 7th Jan here). I imagine shops will be allowed to open on the Sunday (28h) precisely for the gift-shopping and the big market (Fira de Reis) on Gran Via will definitely be open that Sunday

Barcelona city's population is just over 1.7million but the conurbation is over 3 million

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Barcelona in December

4.8 million... to be precise.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Catalonia
Level Contributor
9,615 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Barcelona in December

Anyway... I'm afraid there are too often too many assumptions in this forum about what's open and closed on certain days, so let's better clarify:

Things that are open on X-mas day (although many only until early afternoon): Park Güell, Poble Espanyol, Castell de Montjuïc, Casa Batlló, Zoo, Aquarium, CCCB, Cathedral, Santa Maria del Mar...

Things that are open on 26th Dec: Park Güell, Gaudí Experience, Casa Batlló, La Pedrera, Museu Picasso, El Born Centre Cultural, MNAC, Poble Espanyol, Castell de Montjuïc, Zoo, Aquarium, Cosmocaixa, Cathedral, Santa Maria del Mar, Pedralbes Monastery, Barcelona Mammoth Museum...

I'm sure there are more, I simply got tired of surfing websites ;)

Do however check them again, I might have slipped somewhere! Also, I'd call/write them before visiting as some sites (ie. Palau de la Música Catalana) I know for a fact is closed on 25Dec but its website doesn't say anything (!)

Edited: 21 August 2014, 13:52
10. Re: Barcelona in December

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2015, 05:16