We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Hi,

I will be going to Barcelona next week and we will be staying at the Novotel Barcelona. Will there be exchange booth/offices nearby? Or is it better to go to a bank to exchange instead? If bank, then which one to go to and where?

I did a search in the forum and couldn't find any updated posts about this so appreciate your comments.

What's the going rate to exchange Canadian $ or USD into Euro these days? Thanks.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
403 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Try at the airport ( La Caixa) or in any la Caixa office ( a bank), in the city centre there's one next to Urquinaona, in Via Laietana

Oswestry, United...
Level Contributor
5,144 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

You are surely not carrying large amounts of cash. Do you not have an account linked to an atm?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,334 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

if you want change notes you can try at BBVA office in plaça Catalunya. i think they charge a 3% fee so better check your bank conditions for cc use abroad.

about rates you can look at xe.com website or on google search: 1CAD to €

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
198 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Thanks all. So, is it in general better to exchange in Barcelona or in my home country prior to traveling there?

Any recent US or Canadian travelers out there who can answer this question??? Thanks.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Also the tabacs do money exchange,but useing your bank card to draw euros out of an arm would be a better and safer option

Placerville...
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Which is cheaper? To buy Euros at a US bank before leaving for Spain or purchasing them at either the Airport EXCH office or ATM machines. i have been getting conflicting opinions.

California
Level Contributor
4,272 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

We prefer to have a bit of euro on hand before arriving so we buy from our local main bank branch. When we need additional cash we use the local ATM machines.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,627 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Airport exchange desks,never give as good a rate as other exchange shops or banks,as for drawing out of a cash machine depends what your bank charges etc for this,I have a Santander account and card and the bank doesn't charge me for withdrawls etc,so id check with your bank,what you'll be charged,also see what you'll get at home for exchanging,and work out which will be cheaper for you,have you considers a Fairfax card,you put your euros on it,and the exchange rate remains the same as you've got your euros on it,and then just use it as a debit card,in bars,restaurants,shops etc and no charge for withdrawing money,unless the machine you use charges for using it.

Eileen

Placerville...
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

Thank you Eileen, This is exactly the info I was looking for. I have Capital One both CC and Debit and they do not charge the percentage exchange fee. I will research both the Fairfax card US bank rates.

Susan D.

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
158 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money Exchange Barcelona city center?

I found the exchange rate at home better than in Barcelona- from the uk. Rates in Barcelona are terrible and I've tried 3 methods: exchange at home, exchange at Barca and from an ATM in Barca. I found UK the best rates for pound to euros but the best alternative is definitely an atm. Rates from bureau de change in Barca is very low.