We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel by train in the evening? Solo female.

Which Barcelona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Safe to travel by train in the evening? Solo female.

Hi,

How safe is it for a young female solo traveller to go by train from Madrid to Barcelona, arriving at midnight? And from the station I guess I'll go by taxi to my hotel (in Barri Gotic), will that be safe? I can arrive earlier, but the train in the evening is so much cheaper.

Thanks in advance.

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
6,737 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel by train in the evening? Solo female.

I would say yo will be fine,just try and get a seat near other people,and make sure the taxi you get is licensed,its displayed in taxi,as is the charges,but if it realy makes you feel unsafe get the earlier train,you might be out of pocket,but at least you wont be on guard all the time and you will feel safe

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,711 posts
3,574 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel by train in the evening? Solo female.

linde:

Definitely take a taxi from the train station to your hotel.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel by train in the evening? Solo female.

I have been walking alone for many years in Barcelona at all times without special concerns apart of using basic common sense, same as all my female friends. Midnight is not even "that late" here, especially in summer or weekends, and your chances of being physically assaulted are probably the same than at midday (close to zero) if you stick to main streets with people around. Main "danger" in this city are pickpockets and for these your chances are actually higher in any crowd during the day.

In your case, I would take a taxi just for its convenience. There is a rack of taxis outside Sants station, just follow the signs. Mind there will be a few € extra added to what the meter says for taking the taxi at the station.

As you say your hotel is in Barri Gotic, mind that some streets there are pedestrian-only, so the taxi may not be able to leave you just at the hotel door. Check the exact location first in Google Maps, so you know where your are going in case you must walk. This is the part you may feel less comfortable, walking around the Gotic at night, but it's not an unsafe area. Print the hotel name and address to tell the taxi driver where are you going, and tell him you'll need a receipt (con recibo, por favor)... asking for a receipt reduces your already low chances to being scammed by the driver.

Bon viatge!

Edited: 29 August 2014, 09:20
Oslo, Norway
Level Contributor
58 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel by train in the evening? Solo female.

Thank you so much for all the answers; I will probably take the "risk" (?) and go for the late train :)

5. Re: Safe to travel by train in the evening? Solo female.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2015, 05:15