We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Topic
travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

I will be flying in to Madrid for a meeting. Then, afterwards going for three days to Barcelona. I return to Madrid the morning of my flight which is at 11:20AM. I see the flight from Barcelona to Madrid is 1hour and 30 minutes approximately. Should I fly to and from Barcelona? Or is there a bullet train or train that maybe better to use? What are my options? Is the terminal in Madrid for International far from the domestic Barcelona arrival terminal? Thanks.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

I would strongly advise you to return to Madrid the night before and not on the day you catch your flight home. What if your flight from Barcelona is delayed? You would miss the connection. You should really be at Madrid Barajas around 9AM-ish at the latest (3 hours prior to departure is normally recommended for transatlantic flights). Yes, there is a fast train (the AVE) but the earliest departure is at 07.05am and arrives Madrid Atocha at 9.50am which is too late.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

Thank you that is most helpful.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
59,163 posts
3,577 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

work:

I agree with Nicoleta.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,969 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

first train is at 5:50 arriving at 8:20 to Atocha station. anyway, Nicoleta advice of sleeping that night in Madrid keeps being the safer option.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

Ah, I must have missed that one, Slatkin. The earliest train it was showing me was the 7.05am. Thanks for checking.

Washington DC...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

Thanls Nicoleta and Slatkin. What would be a nice hotel tp stay in at the airport. I would leave Barcelona on a late sunday evening/night flight, stay at the airport and catch the plane to DC on the monday morning?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

I agree with others it's better to spend the night in Madrid, EXCEPT in case you find a suitable early flight BCN-MAD from the same air alliance than your flight to the US. This way your luggage can be checked trough your final destination, etc.

If going to spend the night in Madrid, I would go there by fast train (same or less total travel time but A LOT more comfortable than flying) and stay downtown. Otherwise, there is nothing nice or interesting near MAD airport, but there are several business hotels (can't tell, never used one).

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

We don't stay at the airport, we stay within walking distance to Atocha station. You can take the cercanía train or Exprés bus to Barajas.

9. Re: travel from Madrid to Barcelona and back

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2015, 05:16