We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Festival?

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Festival?

We have booked our flights but are finding it hard to get hotel accommodation. We are arriving on the 11th February and leaving on the 15th February. We know that Valentine's Day falls within our dates but cannot believe that all central hotels are booked up. Is there a festival going on at this time also????

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Festival?

I can't help with the festival question, but had you thought about an apartment? oh-barcelona.com and visitbcn.com have served us well in the recent past.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,266 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Festival?

correction ... visit-bcn.com

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,404 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Festival?

Something major at Trade Fair or major (world) conference are more likely explanation than festival or Valentine's day. Barcelona is fairly compact so providing your hotel is within the city limits you'd be able to get to places easily (Forum area is most far-flung).

Mentioned in this post
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Festival?

Thanks Pandachis. Tried to look at site recommended for apartments. But was very frustrating as time out occurred before I could assess them.

Have decided to stay in Girona as we will be flying into there and hope to travel to Barcelona by train from there.

Can anyone tell me if there is a two or three day pass that I can use on the railways to get to different locations.

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Province of Girona, Spain
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
21,404 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Festival?

Trains in Spain are really cheap in most cases. Girona to BCN is about 6€ single except on TALGO (international express). Return is double, children 12and over pay full fare.

The only 3-day passes are for BCN itself and not worth it normally, you're better with the T-10 tickets. These are zoned but I think Girona is beyond zone 4.

Girona itself is really beautiful. You can get around in the area by bus, to Costa Brava coast and inland. Train to Figueres (Dali museum). Train times on www.renfe.es. Train takes about an hour to BCN; Passeig de Gracia station is the one to get out at. You come out by a Gaudi building, Casa Batllo. Plaça Catalunya is 4 blocks down (Ramblas below that).

I've found out 3GSM World Congress is on here 12-15 Feb, that's the explanation for hotels.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Girona
Girona
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
Barcelona-El Prat Airport
El Prat de Llobregat, Spain
Costa Brava
Costa Brava
Figueres
Figueres
Passeig de Gracia
Passeig de Gracia
11,950 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Gaudi
Hotel Gaudi
1,541 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Casa Batllo
Casa Batllo
48,724 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Hotel Catalunya
Hotel Catalunya
458 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Catalonia Ramblas
Catalonia Ramblas
1,696 Reviews
Barcelona, Spain
Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Festival?

Hi Lynda,

Thanks for your reply. We have decided to stay in Girona and travel by train to Barcelona. Girona seems a much more laid back city than Barcelona and it's only a train journey away. The T-10 ticket seems to be a good choice.

Can you let me know what the T-10 tickets mean? Is it for a number of days? or is it a day ticket?

We would intend to go to Barcelona and also travel to Estarit and maybe other destinations on our 4 day stay, so what would be the best for us? Is the T-10 ticket only valid for 1 day?

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
Barcelona
Barcelona
Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Festival?

T-10 is 10 travel ticket in the metropolitan area zones.

( dont know if Girona is within its limits )

it is multipersonal,

valid til the end of the year , but you ll use it quicker :)

i cant remember the web

www.atm.ES ?

google for it

or search the forum

Mentioned in this post
Girona
Girona
county durham
Level Contributor
37 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Festival?

as we are also visiting gerona the same week 13th-20th february ,and wish to visit barcelona ,so the advice given has been really andy for me too .

can anyone reccomend a reliable car hire firm as we hope to visit the pyranees whilst we are there. Or is there a good transport link to the mountains too?

thanks

9. Re: Festival?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2009, 07:19