We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

Is it possible to drive the coast of Spain from Barcelona to Marbella in one day? If so, is it a difficult drive and how long should it take?

Also- how is the drive from Madrid to Barcelona? Again- how are the roads and how long would it take.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

Barcelona to Marbella sounds long to me....not sure of the roads either.

Barcelona to Madrid should be about 5-6 hours on rather good roads....although frankly I haven't done it. Plane is probably cheaper than renting a car unless you have a family. Train is about same price as plane but takes 5 1/2 hours, but you leave and arrive in the city center (almost).

kentucky of course
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

Marbella and that Costa del Sol is probably my least favorite part of Spain. But if you MUST be in that area, be sure to go to Granada and see the Al Hambra Palace. It is one of the world's greatest buildings and gardens (the Generalife)

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,594 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

It's not just cost of car rental you have to add on motorway tolls, and petrol of course (expensive to you if you are North American). It will be as cheap/cheaper to fly to Malaga or Granada eg with vueling.com (20€ is a common offer)

Not a picturesque drive in any case as the Mediterranean coast from above Barcelona all the way down more or less well is very developed. Lots of cranes as buildings keep going up.

Various friends of ours with family in that part of Andalucia all take the inland route across Spain as it's more direct. Doesa take whole day even so: it's a long way!

If you want really picturesque coast on this side of Spain you have to go to Costa Brava (just south of Frech border) or Costa de la Luz on Atlantic beyond Gibraltar/Tarifa.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

www.viamichelin.com will help you plan your route, giving you routes, distances & journey times. The drive, Barcelona - Marbella is straightforward, but boring & long.

Have you thought of flying between cities? Several carriers fly the routes Barcelona - Malaga/Madrid.

Castro Urdiales...
Level Contributor
68 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

Barcelona to Marbella is not a difficult drive as it's motorway most of the way, but it will be a long hard drive. The motorway is toll some of the way and like most motorways in Spain is only two lanes in each direction, which makes for more stressful driving than if there were three. I have driven down to Almeria along this route several times and each time there has been a lot of traffic much of it lorries, so you are having to concentrate all the time. It took me from 9am to 6 pm to get from Pals, north of Barcelona, to Almeria - you have at least another two to three hours beyond that, and I drive at the speed limit.

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

Thanks for the information. We have been to Marbella before- so decided to stick to the area around Barcelona. We have already rented a house and will have a car.....Do any of you have good suggestions for stops in that area?

Thanks for all the help.

New York
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

Thanks for the information. We have been to Marbella before- so decided to stick to the area around Barcelona. We have already rented a house and will have a car.....Do any of you have good suggestions for stops in that area?

Thanks for all the help.

8. Re: Driving down the coast- Barcelona to Marbella

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 August 2009, 09:20