We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Girona 25th Oct

Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Girona 25th Oct

We'll be arriving in Girona on Sat 25th Oct and departing Thur 30th Oct.

This is our first visit to Spain. I intend to hire a car and am not bothered by driving. Would really appreciate some recommendations on Girona and thereabouts.

Could you please give us some information about the Festivities that are organised (St Narcis)during this period in Girona.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Girona 25th Oct

hello,

there are a lot of activities during St. Narcis, I suggested ask in tourist information office about the programm.

At afternoon and at evenigns there are music concerts (free) in diferents places of the city.

It's also interested in my opnion:

-) human castles on sunday in "plaça del vi" near the catedral with "minyons de terrassa", "capgrossos de mataro" and "marrecs de salt" at 11h30

-) "sardanes" (catalan national dnace) on sunday and on monday at 16h

-) "havaneres" concert, "havaneres" are a typical songs of fishermen very populars...there are a concert infront of the catedral on monday at 20 pm

girona is very beatiful in my opnion...the old city is one of the best in Catalonia. There are also a little cinema museum very interesting...

Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Girona 25th Oct

Thanks for your quick reply. Looking forward for these festivities.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Girona 25th Oct

Hi. We are in Girona from 15 - 18 October and top of our list of places to visit are:

Besalu (medieval village) and nearby villages of Santa Pau & Castellfollit de la Roca;

Cadaques;

Port de la Selva;

Cap de Creus national park;

Camprodon;

Banyoles;

Volcanos of Santa Margarida or Croscat;

Olot.

Not sure we will see everything, but Besalu is a must.

Have a good time!

Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Girona 25th Oct

Thanks for your reply.

Hope that you visit all places mentioned here and that you enjoy your trip.

Would appreciate your comments later about places visited.

Wish you good weather too.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Girona 25th Oct

No problem. I'll give you an update when we get back.

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Girona 25th Oct

I was in Girona yesterday, 7th October and enquired about the programme for the festival from the tourist office. They said that it didn't come out until about a week beforehand. 5de8 where did you get the info?

The festival runs from the 24th October to the 2nd November. The actual feast day is the 29th October. From my enquiries locally, I believe the fireworks display is on the last night, 2nd November.

Regarding places to drive to, you could go to the coast to Estartit or you could head north to the Pyrenees.

You will enjoy Spain. Would recommend you get the train to Barcelona for one of your days. It costs €6.70 and the trains go fairly frequently. If you decide to go, don't go to the final destination, Sants Station, instead get off at the stop before, i.e. "gracia". This is much more central and only a short walk to La Ramblas compared to Sants Station.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Girona 25th Oct

ajjjj!!!

You 're right I confused the programm of this year 2008 with the programm of 2007!!!

I'm so sorry!!!

But the day of the weeck and the time about the human towers (sunday), and sardanes: 25th (saturday), 26 (sunday) and wenesday (29) at 16h 30, are correct!! (I'm cheking them in specific webs). Probably there will be a concert of "havaneres" (it's very typical in all "festes majors") but I don't know when (saturday? monday?).....

Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Girona 25th Oct

We do intend to go one day to Barcellona. Your suggestion to go to Barcellona by train agrees with with others who advised us not to go by car. We will go by train as we intend to take a Sightseeing Bus Tour (Hop on and off) of Barcellona.

Really appreciate all help given by all.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Girona 25th Oct

If you do get the hop on hop off bus, I recommend that you get off at the MNAC building and walk up to the Olympic stadium. There are fantastic views over the whole of Barcelona from up there. Also, it's a nice walk back down to the port from there.

Malta
Level Contributor
21 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Girona 25th Oct

Thanks, point taken and noted. Would appreciate suggestions like this for the full day Bus sight seeing tour of Barcellona.

Gone through the whole thread again and am pleased to say that it had become very informative, not only for me, but also for those visiting Girona in the future.

Thanks again and hope that you continue sending suggestions that are all appreciated.