We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

Cambridgeshire
8 posts
Save Topic
Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

I live in UK and have recently had £120.00 stolen from me by an English man living in Girona, Spain. The deal was arranged over the telephone and I paid the money into his building society account in UK. He didn't send the items and refuses to return my money. This type of dishonesty is called a SCAM here in UK and I've been a victim. I'm hoping to take out a Denouncia but need advice on how best to follow this route. I am unable to speak Spanish or Catalan so there would be a problem with translation.

Has anyone got advice for me please? I would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

hi,

I suggested you send an email to "mossos d'esquadra" (the catalan police); they have people who knows others languages and they can help you:

mossos@gencat.cat

Cambridgeshire
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

My name is valerie and I thank you for your speedy reply.

I'm not sure whether the spanish guardia would follow up my Case as I live in UK and maybe the guardia wouldn't want to help a UK resident.

I really didn't realise that these scams were so widespread and I always believed that I was safe to buy an expensive item from an Englishman living in Spain, especially as he was so pleasant during our many telephone calls.

I called the man this morning, he answered the phone in spanish and as soon as he heard my voice he put the phone down on me. So, I'd really like to stop this dishonest man from stealing money from other innocent people. I guess he is carrying out his scams to make a good living and not have to work. He said he'd lived in Spain for about 6 years but I have since learned that he told me so many lies, I should not believe a word he says anymore.

Anyway, thank you for giving me some advice.

bye. valerie

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

Have you contacted British police and your bank?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

The first problem was depositing funds into his account instead of using a credit card to make payment. There is an old Latin phase that comes to mind and fits this situation perfectly, Caveat Emptor, "Let the buyer beware".

I doubt very seriously if the bank or the police in the UK can or will do anything because the amount of the fraud, or scam, is too small to warrant much time. The same holds true for the police in Barcelona where a pickpocket is set free if the amount of his ill gotten gains is less than €400 EUR. I would just chalk this up as a lesson learned.

You may want to find a website where you can report his name and telephone number so that others will not fall for his scam, but you have to be careful in doing so because of liability laws

Cambridgeshire
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

Hello. Unfortunately a scam is not regarded as fraud here in UK. I was living in hopes that I could institute a Denouncia in Girona and that the guardia would pay this man a visit. I don't expect to see my money again but my aim was initially to try and prevent this man from repeating his scam.

I'm aware that this man is well known and usually hunts around websites that have a forum specifically for selling and buying. My advertisement was placed on the Preloved website and its there that this individual found my Advert for figurines.

I made the mistake of paying my money into this individual's building society account with a debit card, as opposed to a credit card.....big mistake. Neverless, notwithstanding my stupidity, I maintain that there should be a system in place, whereby scammers can be brought to justice to prevent other "gullible" people from being taken in by a thief with a plausible and convincing tale, as was the case with this particular cheat.

Thank you for getting in touch with me.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

I am sorry for you,

but do not ruin your health with that

(Not the end of the world, I know it is easy to say)

Talk to Preloved website too

A

Cambridgeshire
8 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

Hello...again! Thank you for your kind words and for sympathising with my plight. I must appear a real sad case worrying about £120.00 when there's so much starvation and misery in this world.

My real sadness is that this individual has taken my trust away and made me cynical and suspicious towards my fellow man. You see, he showed me a different side to himself over the phone, friendly, jokey and talking general chit chat, when his ultimate intention was to extract money from me and fill me up with a lot of lies.

I must try and not taint my views of the world: it's not healthy, albeit it's difficult to put an experience like this out of one's mind.

I've recently sold 2 items to buyers in Spain and the transaction went without a hitch, so I guess I mustn't generalise on this subject: there are some nice people around and I've discovered this on the Preloved website where the scammer read my Advert.

bye for now. luppylou

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

You can do a Denouncia in Girona, but you would have to appear in person.

My response to this situation would be to confront the individual, have someone pay him a visit, but I don't think that's an option for you in this situation.

Barcelona, Spain
Level Contributor
3,554 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

As for paying a visit(in a company of two strong men ;) - the question is if the name, address(etc?) the man gave are real -

if they were needed for the bank transfer, they should be (then, the amount of money is lower than famous 400 euros, so he may be that cheeky as he knows it is minor case in Spanish law)

-as Robert writes- there must be British/English language organizations/websites that deal with this type of scam.

A

Cambridgeshire
8 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Has anyone got advice on how the Denouncia works in Girona?

Hello. I haven't completely given up hope of meeting up with this individual. I'm in possession of his full name, address, telephone number, as well as his building society details, which were necessary in order for me to deposit the £120.00.

I am in the process of typing out all the details of the scam, from the very first telephone call by said individual, right up until last night's call when he promptly put the phone down on me.

I've been on various chatboard sites in recent days and 1 UK ex patriot has offered to assist me by translating my English to Catalan and pass my report on to the guardia in Girona. Possibly the guardia will pay this individual a visit, if nothing else.

My primary intention is to prevent this thief from scamming another innocent person, which I know he will most certainly do if left to his own devices. He's a crook through and through and needs to be stopped in his tracks.

You will see that I'm quite incensed over this experience but I truly want to stop this nasty individual from "wielding his weapon" on to someone else. Excuse the pun!

Thank you for geting in touch with me. It's good to be able to offload my frustration and sadness.

bye. valerie