We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay?

Belfast
Level Contributor
481 posts
146 reviews
Save Topic
Where to stay?

Hi

Set on Girona for this years holiday. It looks beautiful and I have always wanted to visit. But my dilemma is where to stay. We went to Santiago de Compostella last year, and had a great time, but the hotel had no outdoor space. So while we loved the immediacy of the old town things got hectic and tiring. I have looked at holiday rentals, some are 15-20 minutes out of town (which might be too far) but they have a balcony or garden. The ones in the centre do not ,for obvious reasons.

Would twenty minutes be too far too walk in Girona? Are their any central apts with out door space? What would be the best area to stay for walking access?

A difficult series question I know but I would appreciate some advice. At least I have no trouble with picking Girona!

Cheers

Mick

Belfast
Level Contributor
481 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay?

Dear all

Went for Hotel Nord 1901

Mick

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
832 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay?

Hi downing. What did you think of Hotel Nord - we are thinking of going there next Spring, but my friend is not convinced, she thinks the pool looks more decorative than usable?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay?

We stayed with apartaments-girona.com this Summer. The apartment had a good terrace with jacuzzi and great views. It was close to the town centre. They had another apartment that was immediately adjacent to the one we stayed in.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
644 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay?

Your friend is right, the terrace at Nord is nice to sit on and the pool makes it more picturesque but not really usable other than as a plunge pool if it is hot. Also the terrace tends to be shaded due to the city centre location so not great for sunbathing. That said, if that is less of a priority, which for most city centre breaks, sunbathing and swimming tends not to be, I can't recommend the hotel highly enough. Great location and very smart rooms with friendly service.

If outdoor space, usually gardens rather than pool, is a must then there are 2 or 3 apartments around the town and all within 10 mins of the centre that would suit you better.

Birmingham UK
Level Contributor
832 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay?

Hi Darren thanks for your post. Is there anywhere with a pool - it isn't a priority but after a days sightseeing we do like to come back, cool down with a dip in the pool, and sip a G&T in the sun before heading out for dinner. I did see another Hotel with a pool, but it said it was about 15mins out of town, near an industrial estate - that didn't sound so good.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
644 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay?

If you just plan to have a G&T and quick dip then Nord 1901 is your best bet. Not large enough to swim though but location is very central and hotel itself excellent. There are a couple of hotels about 15 mins walk away from the centre but personally I don't think the sacrifice in location and standard of hotel are worth swapping for the pool. If you do then have a look at the NH, has rooftop pool but still not particularly large. I note you intend to travel in the Spring? Not sure what month you are referring to but I am not sure you would be doing much sunbathing or swimming if you are talking anytime earlier than mid-May. That is when the warm weather starts to kick in. As an aside, not quite what you are requesting (has a cafe but not a typical hotel bar) but Devesa Park has a large swimming pool that you can use and tends to have a good atmosphere when the sun shines.

Belfast
Level Contributor
481 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to stay?

hi

When I said I went for Hotel Nord 1901 I meant I had booked it. Not going til July. It was a difficult decision but as Darren intimated location is priority so it seemed best bet. As far as the booking process the Hotel Staff were very helpful and friendly. I know it is a long time until we go but I love authentic traditional local bars. Any suggestions Darren or anyone else?

Mick

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
644 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to stay?

Check out my forum post "my response to an often asked question - eating out in Girona"

Enjoy

Belfast
Level Contributor
481 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to stay?

Thanks Darren. Like the look of the Galacian place in particular. The older and more authentic the better. Thanks again, just wish we were going sooner.

Cheers

Mick

10. Re: Where to stay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 December 2013, 12:18