We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Barcelona to Girona

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
From Barcelona to Girona

Would anyone please tell me from which train station in Barcelona is the best to go to Girona and is it worthed to buy tickets online or directly from the train station?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

hola,

It depends where you are staying in Barcelona.

And yes you can buy the tickets directly at the Station. For High speed trains (AVE) is posible to buy them on line, but for that distance I would be O.K. with normal trains.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

Hi , we are staying near Les Corts station and to tell you the truth I am confused about the trains which are named AVE or Catalunja or regional delta . Can you please tell me what's the difference between them? Thanks

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

Hola,

If you are staying in Les Corts, then the nearest station maybe Sants

The High Speed trains (AVE and AVANT) only stops at a few stations and go faster but are more expensive. The Regional or Media Distancia are normal trains stopping at several more stations and takes about 1 h. 15 minutes from Barcelona to Girona

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
635 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

The new high speed service takes 38 mins from Barcelona Sants to Girona. These are run by Avant and AVE and can get fully booked at rush hour times and season ticket holders tend to get very good rates. However, at off peak the prices can be pretty reasonable, circa 15 euros. Check online but you can buy at the station.

The MD train takes about an hour and 15 mins, the trains are clean and very good value, about 10 euros. There are more stops, including in Barcelona, where you can pick up at both Sants and Passeig De Gracia.

If time is not critical or Passeig De Gracia is a more convenient station then this service is fine, particularly at commuter times when the high speed trains can be expensive or full.

There is also a regional service, which is even cheaper, but the trains are pretty basic and stop at a number if stations. I would try to avoid these.

If you are travelling midday then aim for the high speed train as for not much more you can be there in 35 mins less time door to door with no stops, Sants - Girona.

The high speed train arrives underground at Girona and has its own platform but this is basically at same location as the established train station so that isn't an issue re location, taxis, buses etc.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

As you told me that AVE and AVANT are more quick to arrive but is it possible to take them from Passeig de Gracia?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

Hola,

There are no intermediate stops between Barcelona-Sants and Girona, so you would have to take it in Sants if you like to take a high speed train

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
635 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

No the high speed train has its own platform underground and can only be caught at Sants.

The MD and Regional can be caught at Passeig De Gracia.

Island of Gozo...
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

hi, thanks a lot for your help

Level Contributor
404 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

When I arrive in Girona w. the train, is there a bus I can take to the city's center? If so, which bus, how often does it run and how much is a ticket vs. a taxi?

BARCELONA.SPAIN
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: From Barcelona to Girona

Hola,

Can´t help with the Bus. Maybe Darren will come with some helping details.

But Girona is not that large, walking from the Train Station to the Old Town won´t take more than 15 minutes.