We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Girona

Which Girona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Topic
Day trips from Girona

Am bringing my elderly parents to Girona this coming weekend. I have hired a car and would like to take them on a couple of days trips - coast? mountains? nice towns? Any suggestions for an intinerary - bearing in mind that they won't be able to walk very far from the car.

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
981 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Girona

Personally for one of the days, I'd drive up to Els Angels to start, to get the views, then go to Peratallada and then Far de Sant Sebatia lighthouse (access via the Tamariu road from Palafrugell) for the views over Llafranc before visiting Llafranc and/or Calella de Palafrugell.

Besalu and Banyoles are also likely to be mentioned, and it would be no problem to get to Tossa de Mar or Roses/Cadaques for a day trip.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,112 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Girona

Besalú is fabulous but not sure about it if mobility is a problem.

Cadaqués is better. L'Estartit is a nice setting (although not as spectacular as cadaqués) and on the flat.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,244 posts
3,468 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Girona

Siuin:

Besalu is one of the most beautiful medieval villages in Spain.

Banyoles is nearby and has a very good lake.

Girona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Girona
Level Contributor
566 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Girona

I would try to get a flavour of the whole area without spending all your time in the car, especially as the forecast for this weekend is hot and clar skies.

For a taste of the West inland area, Banyoles is perfect. Yes, it is near the mountains but isn't particularly difficult to walk around once parked up. On the way back to Girona a quick look at the lake at Banyoles is also very pleasant but i would give the town itself a miss, it is nice but there are other places better for a short stay.

The next day i would spend time driving east towards the coast but stopping inland and taking in the medieval towns. There is a nice route from Girona taking in St Marti Vell, Monells and Madremanya. A Coffee in Monells is highly recommended. Then, if pottery is your thing, head into La Bisbal, or if eating and sightseeing is more your bag, skip that and head for Perratallada, a gourmet delight, and nice and easy to walk around. Closeby is Pals but that is a hilltop village so depends on your mobility to enjoy it fully.

For a day at the beach then for wandering rather than sunbathing Llafranc is a picture postcard resort. I wouldn't want to miss that. Cadaques is very similar but a longer drive, highly recommended but not sure i would want to be stuck in the car for that time on a hot weekend. Closeby to Llafranc is Begur, a hilltop town with fabulous views over the sea, again though mobility is a consideration.

Enjoy.

Level Contributor
76 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Girona

Thanks for all the suggestions - I am spoilt for choice!

6. Re: Day trips from Girona

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2014, 06:24