We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
93 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

After a hundred years very happily hiring my car from Hertz I tried to book for June 2014 and got an error message, I contacted Hertz to be told that they were not operating after feb 2014. Having done some searching on here and other sites am really very worried about who to use as an alternative ... they all sound a bit dodgy especially with the pick up full return empty scam !

Anyone any advice please ?

Best Roger

Lancashire UK
Level Contributor
179 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

We are in the same situation. Europcar ( on site) and Budget are the only ones with the full to full fuel policy. We joined Europcar but so far are unimpressed as they are not offering the discount that they advertised to members. We can hire their cars cheaper through a third party with the same benefits.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
93 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Yes Kathy ... after having had no problems with Hertz over the years I'm loathe to change to an unknown operator especially as I can't find one at Gerona that has good reviews, I really don't want the grief of being ripped off on my one holiday of the year ... looking further into it Hertz customer relations could only say:

"I would like to inform you that our location in Gerona Airport will be under maintenance from the 1st of February. Hertz rental agreements cannot be issued or closed from this location from this date. Only other Hertz locations will be able to do so.

Another car rental company (Firefly or Thrifty) will take over the operations in partnership with Ryanair from Gerona Airport.

This will be ready for online bookings via www.ryanair.com in the following weeks.

We sincerely apologise for the inconveniences this matter may cause."

So whether it's a temp situation or not I still don't know.

Roger

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
93 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Well now I've booked flights with Ryanair the Hertz discount car hire link takes me to 'Firefly" where a small car is 160 euros ... direct with Firefly it's 200 euros.

I see that Firefly is a "Trademark" of Hertz so hopefully the service will be as good as I have always experienced with Hertz !

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

We have done the same to drive to France. Hertz were the only company that didn't charge for cross border travel. Just come back and discovered that most companies at the airport do not allow any cross border travel at any cost (Firefly/Interent) and those that do charge a high premium. Come back Hertz

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Firefly don't allow cross border travel to France. Beware.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Friends of mine booked via the Ryanair website and its Hertz portal a car which they naturally assumed was a Hertz rental. They arrived at Girona late at night, only to join 5 other couples at the Firefly desk, all of whom were expecting to drive over the border into France. Everybody was so upset when they found out their booking wasn't through Hertz and they could not drive over the border as usual. My friends had to pass up their "Hertz" booking and get a Europcar vehicle instead - at great extra cost. The attendant at the Firefly desk had suggested that they would have to drive over the border uninsured - thank God they were sensible enough not to take her totally irresponsible advice. In the light of this information and having booked a couple of weeks or so ago via Ryanair website and its "Hertz" portal for myself this summer I have now checked my booking and see I too have a Firefly booking and see that I will have to pay 45€ to cancel it, as it is more than 7 days since I booked. I thought that Ryanair were trying to treat their customers better! Hertz is being totally disingenuous in this arrangement on the site. I have been using Hertz Girona facility several times a year (apart from the last few months) since 2001, and I think their behavior sucks. They are disgrace. From now on I will be flying Easyjet to Montpellier and use very helpful Europcar - even if I have to drive further.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
93 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

This is so difficult ... we don't need to go over the border but I do want a trouble free, no-hassle hire, it seems impossible and both Hertz and Firefly are rubbish at responding to any enquiries I've made.

I'm tending to favour firms who have a good customer service reputation these days.

I tried out 'Europcar' but their price was £247 whereas Holiday Autos is £100 and Firefly £150 ... it's all a minefield, I don't mind paying a small premium for a little peace of mind £100 more for 2 weeks is a but high, though they have included, in the quote CDW which I've opted out of as I have annual cover ... nothing's easy !

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
3 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Have the same issue and I have started using AVIS. Cross border travel at no extra cost and full tank of petrol on pick up and return.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Thanks for that info re Avis. Good to know about now that Ryanair/Hertz has let everyone down with a system whereby bookings that are ostensibly through them go via Firefly who don't supply the same service and has a cancellation policy that costs anyone who has unwittingly booked them 45€ if they have not cancelled within 7 days.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

There is something strange going on here. Not only have Hertz stopped serving Girona airport, but they've closed office in town, too. And last year, Avis relocated from inside Girona airport to a purpose-built cabin outside the airport buildings. You know have to schlep outside with all your luggage, or try and get Avis to pick you up with a minibus. I suspect it's linked in with the economy of Girona airport itself. Totally dependent on Ryanair, its fortunes ebb and flow, and whereas a few years ago, there was traffic all round going to Barcelona, now that Ryanair flies to El Prat, Girona seems to have become a summer-only airport.

The cross-border thing has changed, too. When we first started driving through from the UK through France to Spain, Hertz used to offer this service called Le Swop, where you hired a car in the UK and swopped it at Calais for a left-hand drive car for the rest of the journey. That has all stopped, and the reason they gave may be relevant to the posts on this thread: if a car breaks down in another country, they have to get it back, somehow, to the country where the rental was made. That has incurred huge costs for the rental companies, so now most of the smaller ones simply don't allow cross-border travel by refusing to insure you outside the host country.

Firefly is Hertz's budget brand, in the same way Budget Car Rental and Avis are the same company. Just as budget airlines have annoying restrictions, these smaller car hire companies do, too.

So, my advice is to pay the extra and go for the larger company, which in the case of Girona airport, is now just Avis and Europcar.