We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Which Girona hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Christchurch...
Level Contributor
92 posts
67 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

After a hundred years very happily hiring my car from Hertz I tried to book for June 2014 and got an error message, I contacted Hertz to be told that they were not operating after feb 2014. Having done some searching on here and other sites am really very worried about who to use as an alternative ... they all sound a bit dodgy especially with the pick up full return empty scam !

Anyone any advice please ?

Best Roger

33 replies to this topic
Christchurch...
Level Contributor
92 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Ok credit where credit's due and with fingers crossed (as I don't know how long one has to wait for any further charges from these people) but we returned from Gerona on 2nd July.

Quick run-down, we got to Firefly desk and within 40 minutes I was at the front, a pleasant young man went through the normal stuff but explained that as I had my own insurance that they would need a 600 euro deposit (note; deposit) now I'm not sure quite what this means as they have c/card details anyway and are able to take from that card as much as they want post-hire anyway ... he also explained that the fuel would be full to empty but they would credit me with remaining fuel value.

I got to the car and it was covered in minor dents and scratches which I photographed and 'circled' on the form - I returned to the desk and a young lady said don't worry about it and I went on my way.

We returned the car after 12 days and no 'incidents' with a quarter tank of fuel, nobody to check the car and, indeed we were running a little late and rather than queue I dropped the keys in the box.

I have since been charged about 60 euros for fuel and NOTHING more .... ie no 'deposit' on my statement so unless something extra appears on my c/card the experience was trouble free and I have nothing to complain about ... well done Flybe !

Merseyside, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Just got back from Girona and wanted to share my car-hire experience.

I booked a Solmar car (5-door Volkswagen Golf or similar) through DoYouSpain.com for 10 days, i also paid for a separate "gold" insurance upgrade from DoYouSpain which insured me against having to pay any excess myself.

The total cost for 10 days hire and all Insurance was £298.95, the fuel policy was full-full so i only paid for the fuel i used.

On arrival at Girona i followed the instructions i had been given and was met by a Solmar rep who drove us (2 minutes) to their parking lot. At the lot i gave in my credit card and they 'blocked' the excess off it, i was aware this would happen.

After completing the formalities i collected my car (Kia) and was on my way within 10 minutes of arriving at the lot.

When i returned the car they checked it for any damage and i was again on my way (they drove me back to the terminal) within 10 minutes. I have to say the service and manner they provided were first class, they honestly couldn't have been any better!

I would highly recommend this company, i had read reports prior to going on holiday and was obviously concerned at all the negative experiences people had suffered, my experience was the complete opposite!

Just for reference i did about 450 Kilometres and when i refuelled it took 53 Euros.

Leicestershire...
Level Contributor
1 post
10 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Just a warning about Solmar in Girona - they charge 10 Euros a day to go over the border into France. A twoo week holiday makes them really, really uncompetitive, despite the seemingly low rate they have on the comparison websites. Also their full-to-full policy is actually a 40 Euro surcharge as they use such a high cost per litre on their full-to-empty rate. If you want to do full-to-full they charge you 40 Euros straight off for the privelige. Felt really sorry for the guy on the desk as he clearly gets upset customers daily who did not know the scale of the charges when they booked.

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

I might I suggest you drive the entire way to Spain? I don't like driving abroad but done it via Ferris on the coach and the toll roads through France are always empty and a very easy drive.

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
92 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

And now, having had a good experience with Firefly last year when I try and book they want more than three times the money last year I paid €148.02 this year the estimate is 457.80 Euro - how can this be ?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Years ago, when Girona airport was in its heigh-day, Goldcar rentals was situated outside the airport in a little shack. They'd come and pick you up from the airport building, if they weren't too busy. If they were, you had to walk. But both Avis and Hertz were in the main building then, as were Europcar, so there was always a great choice, and competition between the car-rental firms.

But, Girona Airport's days seem to be numbered, unless a miracle happens. Not only can you not fly there from the UK during the winter months, but Hertz have gone from the whole province of Girona and Avis moved outside the airport building. When the flights re-commence in April, I'm afraid I will use Avis. They're not the cheapest, but their back-up seems to be better, and they do allow you to cross into France, although you do have to come back out again! There are ways of getting cars a little cheaper with Avis. Firstly, join Avis Preferred: you get an automatic discount when you book; always return the car full: very few car firms go to the bother of calculating how much you actually left in the tank if it's not full. In the case of Girona airport, there is a petrol station about 5 minutes away.t Thirdly, get Excess Insurance cover, which, for the year, will cost you in the region of £40 per year, which is a bargain when you think Avis charges around £20 per day for this. Admittedly, you do have to pay and then claim it back, but it will save a lot of money.

Province of Girona...
Level Contributor
1,012 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

I remember those days, Geoffram. Goldcar also used to park a small white van at the side of the airport terminal, which had a letterbox where you posted your car keys!

I have been checking out rates at both GRO & BCN for car hire. I used www.carhire3000.co.uk which is now www.Rentalcars.com and the 'cheap' Operators are adding a 'Fuel service charge, payable at pick up' which is in addition to the charge for a full tank of fuel on 'Full to empty' rentals! This actually puts rates with Goldcar, Firefly etc. at virtually the same as the better operators!

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
92 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Hi chaps, a short update, "Enterprise" have somehow teamed up with ATESA and they have an office at the airport, I emailed, through the contact page on their UK site last evening with a few questions, wonder of wonders, I got a reply from the Madrid office answering all my queries ... this is certainly a first. So it bodes well, there prices seem good so I'm going to give them a try ... I'll get back to you after the trip (June) and let you know. Fingers crossed ... Roger

Christchurch...
Level Contributor
92 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Hi chaps, a short update, "Enterprise" have somehow teamed up with ATESA and they have an office at the airport, I emailed, through the contact page on their UK site last evening with a few questions, wonder of wonders, I got a reply from the Madrid office answering all my queries ... this is certainly a first. So it bodes well, there prices seem good so I'm going to give them a try ... I'll get back to you after the trip (June) and let you know. Fingers crossed ... Roger

Randers, Denmark
Level Contributor
4 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year

Hi Guys - sorry I can't give you a thumbs up for this thread - it has been must helpful for me, as I also ended up with "dude, where is my Hertz rental office?"

I'll try to locate the best deal for taking a car to France and get back with a post regarding this.

Ole

Reply to: Car Hire as Hertz are not operating in Girona next year
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted