We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sunday Shopping

Devon
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Sunday Shopping

Got another question! - We land in Barcelona on a Sunday around 10.30ish and will be heading straight for our villa near Sitges. Obviously we will need some provisions - will there be any supermarkets/shops open on a Sunday for food? If so, any idea what time they would close?

Thanks, Maz..

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sunday Shopping

Is that am or pm?!

Even if the main supermarkets are closed there are plenty of small ones - mainly Spars - dotted around town which are open all day. And even if you do land at 10.30pm they will still be open. You won't starve!

Devon
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sunday Shopping

Sorry! - We land in Barcelona in the morning!! I've looked at the Tourist Info website and it appears that all the larger supermarkets close on a Sunday. (I was hoping it might be like here where the shops close at 4.0pm on Sundays) It's useful to know we will be able to get bread, milk etc to tide us over for the first day and we can stock up on the Monday.

I suppose the alternative is to eat out in Sitges at lunch time on the Sunday and just have cheeses and bread (and wine!) for supper.

Sorry to bombard you with questions but you are really helpful Sitgeslover!

Can we expect a good variety of cheeses in the shops? (Apologies for such an inane question - but I am curious. I haven't visited Spain for many many years)!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sunday Shopping

It's definitely a good idea to have lunch in Sitges. A very attractive place is the Santa Maria on the sea front - though it can get packed on Sundays, even out of season. The restaurants along San Sebastian bay are also nice places to eat. You'll find a good variety of cheeses and cold meats etc in the larger supermarkets, though the range in the smaller ones will be limited.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sitges
Level Contributor
868 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sunday Shopping

One web site I've seen says that Sitges Carrefour is open on Sundays 10am - 2pm.

It's on the way to Aiguadolç - the marina area. You could kill two birds with one stone: visit Carrefour and then go on to the marina for lunch. The are lots of very nice restuarants there in a beautiful setting.

Devon
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sunday Shopping

Great information! Thank you again!

Southampton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sunday Shopping

Hi - were you able to find a supermarket open on a Sunday?

Devon
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sunday Shopping

Yes we knew some are open for half the day - and some smaller ones are open later.

8. Re: Sunday Shopping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 05:18