We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

London
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

I'm taking my girlfriend to the Costa Dorada for 3 days in early May. We fly to Reus and I wondered if anyone has any suggestions on which town we should stay in. We like to get a real taste of a country/region when we go abroad but we also like a traditional meal and a good drink in the evening - hence why we need help choosing. I've been told that Tarragona might be too quite in the evenings and Salou may not serve the traditional food. Any advice would be great.

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

hi,

Tarragona has a lot of places to taste "real" food as for exemple, in the Serrallo quartier, where is plenty to restaurants that serve traditional dishes of rice, romescos, etc.. The beahc of el miracle is nice also. And the old city (part alta) is really very nice and plenty of history: roman, gothic and romanesque monuments. And some squares where take a drink sourronded by history and nice buildings

Salou is more , more touristic, yes...

Edited: 20 April 2012, 12:17
London
Level Contributor
14 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

Thank you, sounds great. Is food and drink generally cheaper in Tarragona?

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

uhmmm

this is a difficult question...it depends on how another city we compare...I think it's more or less as Barcelona, but the touristic areas are not tourist traps as the Rambles of barcelona (unfortunately) are...the most touristic areas as Rambles de Tarragona or plaça de la font (infront of the city council) are touristic and an perhaps bit expensive but not a toursitic trap....and you can find restaurants with "menus" for 12/15 euros , for instance...and of course, there are also cheaper opcions, and more expensive also!

Edited: 20 April 2012, 19:10
Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

we flew to Reus recently and booked into the gaudi hotel there for one night but wished we'd stayed a bit longer as reus is a lovely old town. Maybe you could consider a stay there

Liverpool England
Level Contributor
1,234 posts
225 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

Just got back from a two day stay in tarragona as it was near Reus Airport for early flight home, we had a quick tour of Tarragona, Roman ruins etc and were impressed by the City, We also went to the Gaudi centre in reus which was terrific if you like that sort of thing, but Reus itself was lovley, a very spanish city which caters for visitors as its a destination for Spanish people in the summer fleeing the heat of Madrid etc,

Both reus & Tarragona are City breaks, but Tarragona has fine beaches as well. Salou is really a british beach Holiday in Spain.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

Tarragona quiet in the evenings? Not in my experience but I'm usually there for the big festival in September!

As you must be either there now or almost ready to go, if you decide to stop in cthe ity let us know about your impressions, then come back in September for the night of the Giants' Ball and the Baixada de l'Aliga to compare. I think we were in bed before 4 a.m. last year - just.

7. Re: Tarragona or Salou for 3 days?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 June 2013, 00:15