We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

can be found here.

tarragona.cat/lajuntament/…programa-2012

I might be able to answer easy questions on it, but if they're tricky you will need someone with much better Catalan than me.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

Sadly, despite several representations and a peaceful protest led by the Cucafera Petita (her daughter), Tarragona's iconic Cucafera will not be taking part in the Baixada de l'Aliga, one of the highlights of the festival for those who like their entertainment loud, late and lively.

Does anybody know where I can get a Cucafera mask?

Kilmarnock, United...
Level Contributor
1,135 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

Thanks for posting this Chris. Looks like another packed program.

Bournemouth, United...
Level Contributor
822 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

i will be there :)

North West England
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

we are travelling to salou 17th - 22nd september with our 16 month old. I was hoping to visit Tarragona and see some of the santa tecla attractions. I have tried to find details in English without success. Could you advise which day would be best to visit during our break?

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

hi,

Macward36 I suggest to llok the programm in pdf betwen pages 38 to 72 and use the google to traslate....Sincerely I don't know what can be better with a so young child...not a correfoc I supposed because it could be noisy (amazing but noisy)..it's possible to attend some trainngs for castellers , this could be a good idea, because You can get an idea about what castels are and the child can stay calm and confortable....

barcelona
Level Contributor
1,484 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

hi (second part),

there are others activities that your child probably like as the parades with giants and bigheads...for instance on 18th at 12 am there are the "Seguici Petit" , some of the figures and Dances of the Parade carried (or danced) for children ...(page 39) or at 18 pm the "Baixadeta de l'Aliga" a parade with the figuere of the Eagle (the little one) of Tarragona carried for the children, etc.

On 19th there are all the figueres of the "Seguici Infantil" at 19h (page 45)

etc...

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

5de8 has given some great suggestions. If staying up late isn't too much of a problem the Baixadeta de l'Aliga is a really nice idea and it's a new tradition. You can read and see a bit more about last year's here ...

…travelpod.com/travel-blog-entries/…tpod.html

Odd though it sounds, for the parents to get the most out of this it would be a good idea to learn the tune of the paso doble "Amparito Roca" beforehand - and possibly "Paquito el Choclatero" too. I'll try to write a bit more next week when I have more time.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

Thinking a bit more about this, then the Baixadeta doesn't sound a bad idea. If your littl'un is reasonably observant (and from distant memory, as both of min are now more than 6'4") at 16 months this can be very variable, then there is a lot to see and a lot of music and as a children's event he/she wil be very welcome.

As an alternative, still quite late but you're on holiday, the Giant's Ball will be on the 21st in Placa de la Font and is charming. One of the good things about it is that the giants line up near the town hall and you can get close up and even touch them. Then they dance spectacluarly to Amparito Roca.

North West England
Level Contributor
29 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

Thank you 5de8 & PandaChris2 ... you've been a great help with just what we were looking for.

Our son is very observant, he loves music (and definately has the energy to stay up late!) so the Baixadeta de l'Aliga sounds perfect as does the Giants Ball.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
12,597 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Santa Tecla 2012 programme ...

Excellent. I hope he has the energy to enjoy it. There will be many local children in all age groups there.

Say hello if you spot us. My youngest is easy to notice as he's about 6'4" and looks much the same as he did in the photos on the above blog. BTW - the Baixadeta and the Ball de Gegants are fun for parents too :) I expect we'll be at both.

If you're in Tarragona during the day and it is open, take him to the Casa de la Festa. If it isn't open, then sometimes some of the giants and monsters have a rest in the Ajuntament (town hall) on Placa de la Font - a chance to get some close up views. You will know if you're allowed in - if the doors are open just approach and security will either stop you politely or wave you through. worth five minutes for the accessible parts of the interior, anyway.