We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

4 of us spent fare to visit Tarragona from Salou and then bought tickets for tarraco tren. It wasn't worth it. Just that view of mediternean sea was very good and Roman amphitheater was looking good too. But once you have seen other monuments and historical sites in Barcelona I wouldn't bothet for Tarragona. We wrapped up in 2 hours. I should have walked instead of paying 7 euros for Taracco Tren ticket.

If you are keen on visiting on all the Cathedrals, meuseums and historic sites the may be but for us Barcelona was enough.

Palafrugell, Spain
Level Contributor
1,067 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

The old part of Tarragona around the Cathedral is beautiful - almost like an Italian city in Spain - very different in style to Barcelona - the huge Roman Circus for chariot racing is really impressive for instance. Last time I was there they had the Roman festival with a Roman market just by the Roman walls.

But looking at the Tarraco Tren, it does loop past some of the newer (19th-20th Century) areas which aren't quite so interesting. If you stick to visting and walking around the older Roman and Medieval centre though it is delightful.

Hermosa Beach...
Level Contributor
2,665 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

I spent two nights in Tarragona and really enjoyed this city. Barcelona has a lot of "sights" but it is a big city and there are a lot of tourists. Tarragona is not so large and doesn't get hordes of tourists. I felt it well worth my time.

Shrewsbury
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
11,833 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

Some people succeed in finding the things of value and interest better than others. We've been to Tarragona perhaps ten times and it's never yet occurred to us to ride Tarraco Tren.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
58,482 posts
3,578 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

I have been to Tarragona twice and walked the city, finding it very interesting.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
52,005 posts
147 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

Tarragona is a smaller city vs Barcelona. To me, the sights are secondary vs the atmosphere of a smaller town. There is nothing wrong though with your assessment. We all have our own preferences.

Ireland
Level Contributor
2,060 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

I've been to both and preferred Tarragona, it's a much smaller city, easy to walk around, plenty to see and do.

They're two completely different cities, it's strange to tell people not to go.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
641 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

Tarragona - lovely place .

Manchester
Level Contributor
401 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

It is a lovely city, and while it is not Barcelona it doesn't claim to be. I am certainly looking forward to my second visit when I am in Salou.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
6,920 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

It happens quite often when you visit a place running and without knowing what is that place .. then all buildings look the same, churches here, ruins there, etc

Fortunately Tarragona has alot to offer to those who know what are looking for or at least those who take some time for discovering a new place.

Cullercoats, United...
Level Contributor
503 posts
161 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: I wouldn't bother for Tarragona after seeing Barcelona

I have been to both Barcelona and Tarragona and like both cities. Tarrogona is lovely, it is small which makes it much easier to get around, it has plenty of historical monuments plus lots of great restaurant and the people are really nice, I have been twice and would recomend it.