We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
158 reviews
Save Topic
Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

We are hoping to start our week's holiday in mid April in Caceres and want to travel there by train or bus from Madrid Airport (or the appropriate train/bus station in Madrid). We've searched the Renfe website for the train times but it says that nothing is available! However, we understand from our guide book and other postings that the train takes approx 4 hours so why are no results shown? Possibly it is necessary to change trains somewhere in order to reach Caceres? If so where?

Likewise our search for direct buses brings no results!

We obviously need help on this one please from some kind person.

Anne and Mike

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30,209 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

Train schedule for your dates has not yet been published, try again 60 days in advance Madrid - Caceres www.renfe.com/EN/viajeros/index.html

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

Anne:

You are looking too early. Read Buying Renfe Tickets Online.

Look for any date in January and you will see that there are 4 trains a day from Madrid to Caceres.

Mount Kenya...
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

I'll suggest Train from Madrid to Caceres...

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

Thanks Benny and Norioopta. Silly me, I might have known that the timetables weren't out yet for April as the same applies in most countries, but it's good to be reassured that trains do exist between Madrid and Caceres!

I gather that the Madrid train station we will need is Atocha. What is the best way to get there from the airport? Of course, we could always get a taxi, but which is the best public transport option and how long should we allow?

Thanks again and Happy New Year to you all!

Anne

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,387 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

I think the train leaves from the CERCANIAS which is like a commuter train at ATOCHA and you can use the Cercanias from Madrid airport and I recommend this. However if you arrive at Terminals 1, 2 or 3 you will need to take the free shuttle bus around to Terminal 4 then follow the sign for Cercanias and take the only train whch is C-1. This page shows the times for the trains and more:

renfe.com/viajeros/…index.html

Allow say 20 minutes to get from another Terminal to 4, then look at train times to guage.

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

One more question re buses from Madrid to Caceres. The Avanzabus website mentions a direct service from Madrid airport to Lisbon airport via Caceres but gives no more details. However, when we search for a direct service from the airport it's not shown and it only gives services from the city bus station.

Does anyone know please if this is a new service and does it run?

Thanks again in advance for any information.

Anne and Mike

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Costa de la Luz
Level Contributor
19,387 posts
271 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

As you are not travelling until April it is unlikely that any bus company can give you a definitive answer on this one. Or at least this is my experience in the past. Often the Avanza web site is very misleading - again this is my experience.They do run a few services from the airport especially to Salamanca. I somehow doubt that they run one from Madrid airport to Lisbon airport but who knows !!

You know for sure that you can reach Caceres by train or the bus from Estacion Sur. I would check again during March and ask direct to Avanza or on the Madrid Forum?

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

Thank you Cadiz lover. I think we must have imagined it as we can't find it now!

Anyway, we'll take your advice and check again nearer the time. In the meantime we've booked our hotel in Caceres and also our flights to and from Madrid so we can now relax for a while!

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

Our daughter lives in Caceres so we have used the train (and the bus) to visit her quite a few times. Unfortunately the train timetables don't stretch very far in advance and therefore it is not usually possible to book more than a few weeks in advance (not months in advance). When the RENFE website says tickets aren't available, it just means they haven't released the tickets for April yet. It takes about 3 and a half hours from Atoche station in Madrid to Caceres. I seem to remember the fare is about 28 euros each way. It seems that Spanish people don't see any necessity to book their travel in advance and as far as I know the train fares don't get more expensive nearer to the date of travel. Hope this helps. Tricia Clark

Guernsey, United...
Level Contributor
62 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Train or bus from Madrid to Caceres in April

Thanks Tricia Clark and everyone for your advice. The timetables and fares for early April are now available on the Renfe website and we are going to attempt to book our tickets with a little help from the TA forum and 'the Man in Seat 61' website which is also full of useful advice on how to use the Renfe website to book tickets.

Anne

Get answers to your questions about Extremadura