We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Galicia: horseriding?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Galicia: horseriding?

Hello (Ian & Irene!)

I'm planning another visit to Galicia in April 08, this time for 7 weeks, so very excited to be returning.

I know there is a lot of horseriding in the southern & central areas of Spain, just haven't seen anything for Galicia?

I would love to hear if anyone knows of any riding places. I will be based in Carballino (Ourense) so somewhere within the days travel would be great.

I have heard there is a riding school near Pontevedra? Does anyone have any info/ideas? I'm really only looking for short trips (ie: a few hours ride), not really overnight trips (much as I'd love these, we'll have our young son with us, so not really practical for him).

much appreciated,

T

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Galicia: horseriding?

There is a few listed on the following web site, so the choice is really a matter for you to fit into your itinerary.

www.turgalicia.es

The other alternative is to contact your accommodation before arrival, as they should have some sort of local contact where this takes place close by.

Ian and Irene

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Galicia: horseriding?

Thanks for the link, I'm still checking through it.

Unfortunately, I'm staying with family but they're not really familiar with horseriding places, so I can't really ask them to arrange it for us!

If anyone else does know of any such riding tours/trips/areas I'd love to hear about them.

I know they're there, just can't seem to find them!

T

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
227 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Galicia: horseriding?

I found this: http://www.carballinohoteles.com/rutas.htm

It´s in O Carballiño, so you can go and check it out and maybe get more information from them about other places.

Most websites say that O Carballiño is a great area for horseriding but no one gives specifics on where to go, so maybe it´s best to ask once there to rural houses or hotels.

Good luck.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Galicia: horseriding?

We know of one horse-riding establishment near to us. But to get from your base to there it will take about 2 hours, as the roads are quite small and twisty. They do not have a web site only a mobile phone number.

If you go to the official web site for Carballiño

http://www.carballino.org/

then click on the button saying “guia de empresas”,

then “Turismo” the bottom one listed maybe be able to help you.

If not write an E-mail to the tourism office at the concello. They should be able to help you. There is a contact form that you can fill in on the web site.

Ian and Irene

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Galicia: horseriding?

Greaat! Thank you both for your responses.

I'll give them a call to see what's on at that time.

Ian / Irene,

I'm fairly used to manipulating the windy roads of that region after our last visit, so 2 hours away is not so bad - we could easily make it a day trip or 2 away .. am thinking of dragging a few family members away for some time away - though I know you're not that far away!

In fact, looking at your location on the map, I think I may have driven near you - we travelled to Chantada & the surrounds (I remember taking the road to Monforte) so I think we may have come by your place very closely without realising!

Would it be best to contact you when we arrive to discuss your local riding group - it's very picturesque region! Unfortunately, we ran out of time last time to explore it well, so I'm planning to dedicate some time to it this time.

T

I'll have very sporadic access to the net when I'm there though.

6. Re: Galicia: horseriding?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 17:18