We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Incense swinging

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
137 reviews
Save Topic
Incense swinging

How can i find out when the incense container is swung in the cathedral ? Is it only on feast days or special religious occasions ?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,013 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Incense swinging

The Botafumeiro is usually swung after the pilgrims mass. As I understand it someone has to pay a fee before it is swung. The last time I read the cost it was about 240€, but it may have gone up since then.

The website for the cathedral is http://www.catedraldesantiago.es/ but it does not give any details of when the Botafumeiro is used.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
12 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Incense swinging

It is swung in some special dates or by request having to pay for it. These are the dates you can see it swinging for the rest of the year:

August 15: Assumption

November 1: All Saints’ Day

Feast of Christ the King (Sunday before the first Sunday of Advent): in 2010, November 21

December 8: Immaculate Conception

December 25: Christmas

December 30: Arrival of the Holy Apostle

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Incense swinging

Thank you for that uscito, it is very helpful

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Incense swinging

And also thank you to casa santo estevo. I will look at the cathedral website, it will be useful to help us plan our trip

5. Re: Incense swinging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 October 2012, 02:18
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela