We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

El Camino de Santiago

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
El Camino de Santiago

I am planning to walk the last 100km or so on one of the pilgrim routes in Spain - I have about 7 to 10 days available in September October 2012. I am finding it very difficult to decide between the Camino Frances or the quieter Camino Sanabres. I would like some advice on this - my concern being that the Frances route from Leon will be far too overcrowded. I would also like to do a picturesque route and not one that runs alongside highways and such.

Santiago de...
Level Contributor
246 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: El Camino de Santiago

Hi, Jeannette. Take a look at this: http://bit.ly/bopbY7. It's called Iacobus Voucher and could be interesting for you. Moreover, on the next link http://bit.ly/mSF3W7 you'll find a Camino de Santiago hostels directory. Enjoy the journey!!!

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,935 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: El Camino de Santiago

Please read the section at the top " How to approach the Camino de Santiago."

Camino Sanabrés is better known as the Vía de la Plata.

Buen Camino

blancaceni
Level Contributor
5 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: El Camino de Santiago

Although the French Camino it is the most famous Pilgrim Route, there are seven Pilgrim Routes in Galicia.

http://www.santiago-compostela.net/

Following the French Camino it will an option for those that have no previous experience. I mean, you will not make the Camino alone, you will find many lodgings to rest and you can decide, day by day, how many kilometers you will be able to do next day. It is because, being a well-known Camino, it enables that many companies decide to settle near de Camino, in order to offer their services to pilgrims.

The Camino Sanabrés is not crowed, that is for sure. I prefer the landscape you find during your pilgrimage following this Camino.

It is the perfect Camino, for those who want to enjoy the Galicia landscapes, and for those who desire to make an inner journey as they follow the Camino, as it is probable you will not find many other pilgrims.

It is a difficult Camino, with mountains to climb. You will have to walk long distances, because it being not attractive to pilgrims, it means less services.

If you decide to make the Camino Sanabrés, despite my description, here you have a family hotel by the Camino, near Santiago de Compostela

www.casadecasal.com

My best wishes for your journey

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: El Camino de Santiago

Thank you, Blancaceni - You have definitely answered all of my questions very well. Now it is decision time for me.

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: El Camino de Santiago

Thanks for your reply - I will definite;ly use that site.

Alberta
Level Contributor
10 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: El Camino de Santiago

We're doing the Camino too at the same time! I'm the dad of a family of 4 backpacking round the world for a year. We're probably going to do the typical shorty from Leon. What did you decide to do?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
5 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: El Camino de Santiago

Hi BackpackTim, I have actually decided to walk in a different part of Spain and not to do the El Camino - I do hope that I have made the correct decision.

Enjoy your travels!

Abbotsford, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: El Camino de Santiago

If you are walking from Leon be forwarned that the O Cebreiro portion is my experience the most difficult after the Pyrenees. But when you reach Cebreiro it is exhillerating.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
6,128 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: El Camino de Santiago

Just a gentle reminder that the OP's trip took place last autumn.

Longford
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: El Camino de Santiago

HI...doing the Camino walk in April from Sarria to Santiago de Compostela....we are a group and have some not so young and wonder are there many hill/mountain/ascents on this part of the Camino/???