We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two weeks at the end of March /April

Which Santiago de Compostela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Two weeks at the end of March /April

HI,

I have two weeks at the end of March / April.

I am a pretty fit / athletic 38 year old. Can anyone suggest which section of the route I should do please?

Is it great for meeting people around my age ?

What kind of daily budget is needed ?

Does anyone have flight information from the UK ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

You will be in Easter week.

Direct flights from the UK to Galicia are from London Stansted with Ryanair and London Heathrow with Vueling.

The Galicians are friendly bunch so you should always find someone to talk with.

The other questions I am sorry to say I cannot answer as they are dependant on so many things.

Route is dependant on method of travel and likes dislikes.

Budget will depend on the above too.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,997 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

with 2 weeks you can start in Leon and walk to Santiago following the French way.

Flights are usually cheaper to Madrid and then you can take a bus to Leon. Also look for flights to Valladolid or Galicia and then bus routes.

there will be ppl of all ages, lots travelling on their own. As it could be Easter, there will be more ppl than usual for that time of the year.

if you stick to official albergues, it's 5 euros/night. I usually keep a budget of 25 euros per day including everything (pharma, 1 nice lunch, basic breakfast and dinner, some detail you like...) excluding transports. I usually spend at least 2 nights at Santiago at a hotel, you can find some for 50/60 euros per night.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,942 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

Well, it all depends on whether you want to end up in Santiago after your two weeks, keeping in mind that the last 100 kms will be an absolute madhouse during Holy Week.

If not, you could fly into and out of Bilbao (Easyjet from Stansted) and walk St Jean PdP to Burgos, or Pamplona to Sahagun, or go to France and walk a portion of the Vezelay route or the le Puy route.

If so, and if you're willing to walk long days, you could fly into Madrid and walk Zamora to Santiago on the via de la Plata, or Leon to Santiago as suggested above.

Go to the planificador page on godesalco.com to plot out your options.

You can easily do one of the more-established routes for about 30 euros per day, assuming that you stay in the lower-cost dorm-style pilgrim hostels (albergues) and that you shop for breakfast and lunch items, and buy the pilgrim menu at a low-cost restaurant for dinners, and stop occasionally at coffee shops for snacks and drinks along the way.

For 60 euros per day, you can stay in low-cost private accommodation (room for yourself, possibly with private bath, in hostales, privately run albergues, 2-star hotels), and eat breakfast and dinner in restaurants and cafes, while buying and carrying food for lunch.

For around 100 euros per day, you can stay in 3-star accom, eat three meals a day in restaurants, have your backpack transported for you, and probably be part of a guided trip, with all arranged ahead of time.

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

Thanks,

So will it be crazy busy on the last 100km during easter ?

I have also heard that a lot of the walk is next to motorways and roads ? is that correct as I would like to avoid that section.

Any other tips appreciated.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

Yes Easter time is normally a busy time. Some routes are quieter than others.

Please read the posting at the top right "How to approach the Camino de Santiago".

Llanfairpwllgwyngyll...
Level Contributor
280 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

Would easter be possibly too busy then ? difficult to get the cheaper accommodation, prices going up ? too many people etc ?

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

Sorry for not replying sooner, but the simple answers to all of your questions is could well be. Easter, for holy reasons, is one of the busiest times of the year. Outside of the July / August months. So accommodation is harder to find and accommodation rises prices to suit.

But if you head over to read the top question then you will find ways around this hiccup.

Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

Planning on flying to Madrid mid September 2013 to meet my sons and wanted to walk a portion of the camino with them, (probably have a week plus as they have to be back in Madrid for work)....where's the best place to start, coming from Madrid, and is our time frame realistic ? I would guess that we would have to fly back to Madrid from Santiago ..... Any help would be appreciated thank you

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

Chilly re the camnion questions: Please read my post (no.5) Your questions will be find better answers when you have read that.

Travelling back to Madrid; You can fly train or bus back to Madrid, or even hire a car. It all comes down to budget and time scale. And your location when you have finished the part of the Camino you choose to do.

10. Re: Two weeks at the end of March /April

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 March 2014, 05:15