We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Roof top tour

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Roof top tour

We will be in Santiago at the end of May and were interested in doing the cathedral roofs tour arranged by Xelmirez Palace. Is it possible/necessary to book tickets in advance for an English tour? I went on the cathedral website but couldn't find that particular tour. Thanks so much for your help.

Galicia Incoming Services
Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Day Trips
Tour Galicia
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Galicia Experience
Sightseeing Tours, Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Night Tours, City Tours
By The Way Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Food Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings , Cultural Tours, Private Tours
O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Roof top tour

Maybe they have stopped doing the tour in English as I also could not see any alternative.

If you are in the city for a few days then just go to the door just to the left of the steps to the main entrance and book them. The last time I was there the English tour was scheduled for the afternoon.

Or phone the number on the website and book over the phone.

Santiago de...
Level Contributor
106 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Roof top tour

Hi lifesci99!

At the Crypt of the Cathedral, where its main façade is, where actually now is the official and ONLY access to all the Cathedral services offered, roofs included I was recently told that you may specify on your booking the fact that you want the English tour. Even so, as you were adviced, it's definitely much better to book it directly the day that you come. They started this year the payment system and even for us guides it's a bit confusing. I would deeply recommend in that case the unique visit offered to see the Porch of Glory by the scaffold placed in front of it..or eventually the roman necropolis below the Cathedral. I hope this info is useful! Let us know.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
85 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Roof top tour

Hello, thank you both for your help. The whole booking process was a bit frustrating as we showed up at the cathedral visitor's centre at around 1 pm and were informed that there would be no more English tours that day, and were given the website address to book online. We tried to do so that afternoon but there's no way to specify on the website that we want an English tour. We returned to the information desk and were told to just show up at 10 am the next morning to see when the tour would be. As we would be leaving the next afternoon, if the tour wasn't in the morning we'd be out of luck. Thankfully when we showed up we were informed that the tour would be at 11 am, and it was fantastic.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,521 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Roof top tour

Thanks for reporting back.

When this sort of confusion I feel it does not help tourism.

But I am also pleased that you managed to get onto the roof. Even more important you enjoyed it.

So advice from this forum would be book as soon as one arrives at Santiago.

5. Re: Roof top tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 06:18
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela