We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what do you think about no reservations anywhere?

Which Santiago de Compostela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Wildwood, Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
what do you think about no reservations anywhere?

My husband and I would like to hear from someone who has done the whole trip without going through a tour company ..We would like to start mid-August through September.What kind of a language barrier is there? Any info would be most helpful.

yvonne

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what do you think about no reservations anywhere?

The majority of pilgrims do the trip without a tour company.

The communities along the way do their best to be helpful to people who are unable to speak the local language whether Castilian, Galician, Basque, etc. I met one pilgrim who was Korean and who, as far as I was able to discern, spoke neither Spanish nor any other European language. She managed by being friendly, patient and unfailingly courteous.

August is a very, very busy month. I recommend that you start your planning with this TA page.

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g187508-c191984/Santia…

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
83,089 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what do you think about no reservations anywhere?

August is the peak holiday period in Europe, and September is busy too. I think it would be unwise not to book accommodation in advance.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what do you think about no reservations anywhere?

Sydney, most pilgrims never prebook. It is usually a rush from one albergue to the next at that time of year.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what do you think about no reservations anywhere?

We are going in June - no tour co, no reservations. From my research, it looks like even in August you will find beds. You might not find space at your 1st choice, but uf you are willung to stay in guesthouses, etc. rather than only at municipal alburques, youll find space. Like the saying goes: the Camino will provide

5. Re: what do you think about no reservations anywhere?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 December 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela