We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

July 2014

Which Santiago de Compostela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
July 2014

Due to timing of where I will be and availability - I will be doing the trail sometime between July 12-29 - not necessarily for all that time. I will be in London until July 11, and then back in London for July 30.

Ideally I would like to walk the trail for a week or so, and then get to a beach for a few days. I will be by myself so am thinking going with a guided tour may be the way to go so as to meet other folks - but then again, I also like to do my own thing. And love the idea of someone taking my luggage onto my next hotel for me so I am merely walking.

Any suggestions? Thoughts? All welcome. Thanks!

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: July 2014

When you say "the trail" do you mean part of the Camino Frances? I did the last 160 kms a couple of years ago, had a service move our suitcases every night and we walked with a back pack.

This year I'm doing the last 120 kms of the Camino Portuges and again will have the service move our suitcases. I'm also making reservations at hotels along the way.Coincidentally, I'm starting on July 12th.

If you have specific questions and this is the "trail" you're talking about let me know

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: July 2014

By the Trail if you mean one of the many Caminos to Santiago? Have you read the advice given at the top right of this page?

Those that do not carry there own luggage are often looked down by those who do.

It will be busy on a lot of routes.

25th July is Santiago Apostol. A big celebration of St James and a public holiday in Galicia

Santiago de...
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: July 2014

Galicia have excellent beaches, at around an hour in car from Santiago.

There are plenty of companies offering a lugagge transport service:

www.xacotrans.com

www.jacotrans.com

www.caminofacil.net

www.transportedemochilas.com

Keep in mind that July is probably the busiest month of the year in the Camino, so try to arrange all details of your trip soon. Welcome!

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: July 2014

Casa Santo Estevo,

Regards your comment that "Those that do not carry there own luggage are often looked down by those who do.", that was not my experience. But even if it had been I see that as the problem of those doing the "looking down". Please, dont try to discourage a person from doing part of the Camino just because they're not carrying their own luggage. We all have limitations in what we can do physically.

Brussels, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Seville
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: July 2014

I don't think they are looked down, as long as they don't use public "Albergues de peregrinos" and instead use their own private hotel reservations. One is free to walk the camino as she wants, but the public albergues are meant to be for people walking it the "full" way, so one may be not only look down but also called to attention if one tries to get a bed in a public albergue if not walking with the backpack

NJ
Level Contributor
378 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: July 2014

myscreen

agree totally with that. We stayed at private lodgings we arranged for, mainly small bed and breakfast type places.

Banff, Canada
Destination Expert
for Banff, Banff National Park
Level Contributor
5,871 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: July 2014

Every pilgrim has his/her own pilgrimage, and walking without a full pack is the choice made by many.

I'm sure that you're talking about the Camino Frances, in which case there are many luggage services in the latter stages, as noted above. I wouldn't worry about meeting other people -- many pilgrims walk alone and many are ready to strike up a conversation. I agree that for July you should start booking hotels asap. The tourism office in Sarria has a super list of all the accommodation in the last 115 kms -- you can get that from them, or you can buy a really good guide such as Miam Miam Do Do, which lists everything available.

If you take a look at this TA page, you will find some background information and links to much more:

tripadvisor.ca/Travel-g187508-c191984/Santia…

La Jolla, California
Level Contributor
41 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: July 2014

Thank you to everyone. Am walking the Portuguese Way with a guided tour.

Santiago de...
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: July 2014

Bienvenido a España y buen camino!

10. Re: July 2014

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 March 2014, 13:09
Get answers to your questions about Santiago de Compostela