We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip plan

Which Santiago de Compostela hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Trip plan

Hi,

I will be taking a week to have a look at parts of Galicia, Asturias and Cantabria in an itinerary that is, at the moment, something like this:

Day 1 Lisboa- Pontevedra visit the city in the afternoon. Sleeping in Santiago

Day 2 Visit Santiago

Day 3 Visit Finisterra Cape in the morning (3hours drive total?) in the morning and have a look into A Coruna in the afternoon and heading to Oviedo at the end of the day.

Day 4 Oviedo

Day 5 Visit Santillana in the morning and Santander in the afternoon

Day 6 Oviedo to Cangas de Onis Covadonga Lago de la Ercina (miradouro de la Reina)

Day 7 Morning Gijón and Oviedo in the afternoon

Day 8 Depart to Leon and see the catedral and return to Lisboa via Benavente, Pueblo de Sanabria Verin - Fafe - Guimarães- Lisboa

How much time would it take by car doing Santiago- Finis Terra- A Coruña in August? Cause I head my mind set on going to Finisterra unless in next to impossible.

Is this plan feasible? What would you see in each town? Would you add some towns take others? Am I missing something big in the area?

All advices will be much appreciated.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip plan

Any thoughts on restaurants used by locals (mid range priced) would be also very much appreciated.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip plan

I have answered your other posting with ideas about the trip.

Restaurant suggestions.

Santiago de Compostela:

Casa Manolo

Garum Bistro

Oviedo

Mercado Fontán in the Old City

also take your pick from the many sidrerias

ocio.lne.es/hosteleria/…

I have never found somewhere to recommend in Santillana del Mar. It is small with not a great choice and all squarely aimed at tourists.

Santander

El Serbal

La Mulata

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip plan

Tks so much for the restaurant suggestions. I will sure give them a try.

Galicia, Spain
Level Contributor
234 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip plan

Hi:

Nice plan. You will spend a lot of your time driving though.

Santiago to Fisterra. It will take 1:20 (90 KM) going trough the interior road AC441.

My reccomendation is to drive a little bit more (1:50) and go by the seaside. The trip is absolutely amazing by itself, through beautiful medieval villages like Noia, Muros and magnificent landscapes like Ezaro (worth a stop for the views from the top pf the hill)

Maybe this will reduce your availiable time in a Coruña. (Driving to Coruña will take 1 :20 from Fisterra.

Keep in mind that during rush "summer" hours (Going to and back from the beaches , from noon to 14:00 and from 19:00 to 21:30) you will find heavy traffic in the local roads and maybe traffic jams in the villages. Also in your way to the cape. During the morning, (8-11) it will be fine

Your plan for this day Santiago-Fisterra-A Coruña-Oviedo seems too much for me, unless you want to spend 90 % of your time driving.

Restaurants in Pontevedra: Tripadvisor is very accurate and top rated restaurants are fine and good priced. Full of tourists during the summer, but also enjoyed by locals all year long (Not tourist traps at all)

I would go for the old town (Maybe Loaira) or may of the small tapas restaurants in the old streets.

Cheers

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip plan

**** You will spend a lot of your time driving though. ****

Exactly what I have said to this person in this thread.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187506-i943-k7675…

I now see Alface has opened a third thread on this trip:

tripadvisor.com/…60129534

Please can we keep this simple and have just one thread?????

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip plan

Please leave the moderation to the moderators and stick to TA rules and to your role as a Destination Expert: advising. Tks

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip plan

Tks so much Noctiluca you gave me much to think about.

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
827 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip plan

In June I drove through some of the areas that you will be passing through. You asked for restaurant suggestions. In Santiago, we enjoyed tapas at Antollos. Here's a link to some photos:

bentpage.net/2014/…

And for lunch we at at Cerveceria Bella Rua, which was simple fare, affordable:

bentpage.net/2014/…

As mentioned above, Santillana is definitely geared toward the tourist for a look at the church see:

bentpage.net/2014/…

Safe travels and driving.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
5,787 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip plan

Please stop this rubbish. You have made double posts and as a consequence confusing those who wish to add advise.

Double posts are against TA rules.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Lisbon
Level Contributor
2,538 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip plan

Tks so much SanNic44, beautiful pictures of Colegiata and will certainly try some of those restaurants.