We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

places to visit in Galicia

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
143 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
places to visit in Galicia

Have a meeting next month in Santiago de Compostela, and also want to do a bit of traveling. Can you suggest other places to visit in Galicia, easily reachable by leisurely car touring from Santiago?

Thanks

Discover Galicia
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours
Follow The Camino
Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Tour Galicia
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Cultural Tours
Viajes Turigrino
Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours
Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
60,080 posts
3,606 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: places to visit in Galicia

Saul:

La Coruña is a beautiful city that is quite near Santiago de Compostela. Read the top questions in the La Coruna forum for what to see.

There is a wonderful restaurant there:

Restaurante Coral

Callejon de la Estacada, 9 (Beside Avenida de la Marina)

Tel: 981-200-569

Web: http://www.restaurantemarisqueriacoral.com/

Closed Sundays.

This restaurant has won many prizes: Unipyme (1985); Golden Cok Medal (1987); Plato de Oro de la Gastronomia Española (1987); Empresa del Año (1999); Tres Tenedores from the Guia Michelin; Medalla de Galicia, Premio Prestigio; and Premio a Potenciacion da Cocina Galega (2005).

The restaurant was founded by Cesar Gallega Pita in 1954 and his two sons Andres and Martin are now running this restaurant. The restaurant is a very elegant restaurant with artwork on the walls and also is decorated with all the awards it has received over the years. Service is excellent and very expert, knowing how to pace the dishes chosen by the clients and serving them in the correct order. The wine is served excellently chilled.

The seafood served is excellent, with everything very fresh. The meat dishes are also done very well. All the food is served very elegantly. The pulpo Gallega is served elegantly on a ceramic plate, unlike other restaurants that serve this popular dish on a wooden board. The ensalada ventresca has lettuce, tomatoes, tuna, and red peppers, and is delicious. The merluza albariño is cooked with albariño wine and is another good choice. The revuelto grelos zamburiñas is an omelet that contains turnip greens. The cerdo iberico comes with the most mouth- watering fig sauce.

The best thing about this world-class restaurant is that it is moderately priced. It does not cost an arm and a leg. The prices are competitive with ordinary restaurants that do not have the prestige or elegance of this restaurant.

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: places to visit in Galicia

We are all getting a bit fed up with these sorts of cut and paste type of information, nothing is tailored to the question asked. as above. The same poster at time advises not to use cars in cities as parking is expensive. Visit A Coruña is sort of a conflict with information. I have also said, in the past, that eating Pulpo (Octopus) off a ceramic plate is really a "crime" here in Galicia.

SaulPittsburgh, what are your interests?

Edited: 19 August 2014, 07:54
Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
143 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: places to visit in Galicia

Thanks for asking. Interested in cultural sites, though I fear I may be overdosed on cathedrals and chapels after a while. Also interested in nature. Love photographing when I travel. And great, healthy food always adds to enjoyment

Thanks

Saul

O Savinao, Galicia
Destination Expert
for Galicia
Level Contributor
6,071 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: places to visit in Galicia

Thanks for your reply:

Healthy and great food to be found all over Galicia.

Cultural sights are everywhere, not only will you find religious buildings but you can find Roman remains all over the city of Lugo plus it's Roman Walls.

The actual tourism site does not seem to be working at the moment.

There are a lot of pre Roman remains too. Galicia has it's roots in Celtic history. Like the area around Sober has a lot of petroglyphs. This area known as the Ribeira sacra is also know for spectacular views, wine and 12th century buildings. Besides the petroglyph one can visit various hill fort/village remains too.

Apart from the Ribeira Sacra Galicia has 4 other wine areas. Monterrei- Rías Baixas - Ribeiro - Valdeorras.

Perhaps the wildest area of Galicia is to be found in the mountains of Serra dos Ancares. The highest peaks to the south of Galicia can at times be considered a skiing destination but not at the time of your visit.

I have a lot more details but the length of your stay and the timing of your visit counts a lot. Unfortunately I do not have those details.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
143 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: places to visit in Galicia

Many thanks. I only have a week to travel after my meeting in Santiago, and don't want to be too hectic, so limited in what I can do, but it sounds like there would be some good options

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: places to visit in Galicia

Hi - we travelled all over northern Spain and spent some time in Galicia which was fantastic. Santiago great and lots of places nearby to visit. If you want somewhere fab to stay very near to SDC, try Casa Grande do Bachao - it is in the middle of a eucalyptus forest with lots of wildlife and you can walk down the valley to the river - great food too in an old restored stone building (and pool) - complete bliss. Also Sanxenxo is worth a visit on the coast, great beach, good restaurants etc and lots of nice drives places to stop north and south from here. Hotel Rotillo in centre with all rooms overlooking port/beach very reasonable. Club Nautico restaurant great for seafood - you must try Camerones, small pink shrimps while in Galicia - the sweetest thing I have ever eaten. We are going again next week, first week N. Portugal and then near Baiona lower down - new for us and hoping to visit the Cies Islands by boat which is supposed to be fantastic - nature reserve, loads of birds and one of the best beaches in the world and not far for you to drive - boats from Baiona. Hope this helps!

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
105 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: places to visit in Galicia

Hi - sorry forgot to say - parking was easy everywhere especially in SDC - we drove right to the centre and followed signs to parking which was in an underground car park less than five minutes walk from the cathedral etc - cost for all day no more than a few euros with security attendant - saw plenty of other car parks too and street parking in places. Easier and cheaper than here in the UK!!

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
143 posts
179 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: places to visit in Galicia

Helps a lot! thanks so much!

At the moment, planning to go south and slightly east to stay at Santo Estevo monastery and spend time in that area for hiking, winery visits, and visits to medieval towns such as Riabadavia

Edited: 22 August 2014, 16:15
9. Re: places to visit in Galicia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 August 2015, 05:15