We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
86 reviews
A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

Hi everyone

Back in 2014, I stayed at The Caleta Hotel. I spend 18 months saving up. I was able to get a wonderful balcony room, overlooking the sea.

I am debating revisiting Gibraltar in late 2018 or early 2019. It depends how long it takes to save up. I have been putting a bit aside each month. Anyway, I could perhaps afford The Caleta for four nights, or the significantly cheaper Bristol Hotel for a week.

The problem with the Bristol is that a good percentage of its reviews say "do not stay here" or rate it "terrible". Is it really that bad there?

So, I guess what I am asking is: should I stay four only four nights in the beautiful Caleta Hotel,

or stay for a whole week in a hotel that people say is risky at best.

Thanks

Joe

PS: If Mr Bristol is reading this, I am not having a go at his hotel. I am just discussing options, based on what some travellers have said so far.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 13:53
6 replies to this topic
Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
28 reviews
1. Re: A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

You should also consider the Holiday Inn Express on Devils Tower Road, which opens this summer. Hopefully you can find a good rate for your proposed visiting dates.

Personally, I would stay in the Ohtel Campo De Gibraltar just over the border if the Caleta is looking too pricey and would not take the appalling Bristol into consideration.

Edited: 23 May 2018, 14:46
UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
86 reviews
2. Re: A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

Thank you! This is most helpful. What is La Linea like as a place to stay?

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
1,036 posts
28 reviews
3. Re: A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

The Ohtel is close enough to the border to not have to enter the back streets of La Linea if you choose (it is on the main road leading to the entrance to Gibraltar).

La Linea is a poor town and isn't very pleasing on the eye, however there are some nice restaurants and cafes in the town centre. I cross the border at least once or twice a month to eat/drink in around the main street/calle real and would recommend any visitor to the Rock to spend at least one evening there.

In terms of location, its not much further from Gibraltar centre than the Caleta

Edited: 23 May 2018, 20:29
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,397 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

I wouldn't stay in La Linea, much nicer to stay in Gib.

I would definitely do 4 days at the Caleta instead of 7 days at the Bristol but I would check out the new Holiday Inn too. Or Airbnb

London, United...
Level Contributor
191 posts
1 review
5. Re: A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

I think that it all depends on time of year that you are visiting, if it was summer then there is only 1 real option and that is 4 days at the Caleta.

if it is winter then I think 7 days at the Bristol or Holiday Inn might be more tempting.

both options definitely better than staying for 10 days in any La Linea Hotel.

UK
Level Contributor
17 posts
86 reviews
6. Re: A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel

Thank you so much for your help, everyone!

I found out that if I book directly through The Caleta, they have single occupancy rooms (with one single bed only). This made it much more affordable for me.

Very much looking forward to staying at The Caleta and seeing the Rock of Gibraltar again.

Wishing you all good health.

Reply to: A week at the Bristol Hotel or four days at The Caleta Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar