We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

B&B or pub accommodation?

Which Gibraltar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
B&B or pub accommodation?

Does anyone have any info on cheaper accommodation in Gib? Have been before and stayed at The Rock Hotel which was great but cannot afford to stay there again. Any thing would do, private flat, self catering, B&B. Thanks

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,304 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

How desperate are you? There's a hostel which I heard was really bad but for me the most awful hotel experience of a lifetime was the Cannon Hotel just off Main Street. I did go in April so it was a bit cold but they rationed out the heaters (and I never got one) for the guests, no TV or in room facilities, toilet/shower were shared. AWFUL, AWFUL, AWFUL. But then it was one of the cheapest at £23 per night.

On my return from Tangier I stayed at the Queens Hotel at just £26 per night and had TV and washbasin in room; their rates are higher now as advertised on their website but they do not quote for the basic room, check with them by e-mail, it may be worth your time, it was luxury compared to the Cannon and only £3 more.

http://www.queenshotel.gi/

Gibraltar accommodation is not cheap in any way.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

Thanks for your help. I will try these, Gib now seems to be for people with plenty of money, which is a shame.

south shields
Level Contributor
31 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

we went in July and stayed in la linea, which is just over the border and it was really reasonable. we atsyed at the AC La Linea, and it onyl cost us £150 for four nights. we are going back next september for the week prior to our wedding (we get married in gibrlatar) and we are staying int he iberostar which is closer to the border, five minutes walk. that too is realy reasonably priced, i think it is only costing £300 for six nights - worth a try!!

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,697 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

The people at the Cannon seem very friendly, but the actual rooms are not to be recommended - family have stayed there and found them to be positively unsafe. They booked out the next day.

You could try booking through the website mygibraltar as last time we had visitors they stayed at the Eliott at a bargain price (not as cheap as the Costa del Sol, but cheaper than London.

Unfortunately for bargain hunters there seems to be so much business tourism, hotel prices are not very competitive.

Have a good trip

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

Thank you to everyone for all your help

Ipswich, United...
Level Contributor
931 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

We stayed at the Caleta on a city break but it seems that Gibraltar doesn't want or doesn't need that sort of tourism. Maybe after years of the British military being there they try to keep it exclusive. I picked up a leaflet at the tourist office which suggests;

Governor's Inn Apartments phone +350 44227 or gib@gibnet.gi

double bedded apartments fully equipped.

Herald Travel Apartments (Ocean Heights) +350 71250 e-mail herald@gibnet.gi or look on www.gibraltar.gi/herald/

They have studios and one or two bedroom apartments. There is also a pool.

Look on http://www.mygibraltar.co.uk/ and maybe you can find something new. I havent given you prices but they ranged from £35 to £65 a night but this was a couple of years ago.

Good luck. We'd like to return but it's so expensive.

East Sussex, United...
Level Contributor
435 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

Hi Koritsi, Thanks so much for your help. I have found these websites as well, but they are not taking bookings at the moment so I am holding on for a few weeks and then I will try again. Thanks again.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

Hi. We did Gib for "New Years Eve" a couple of years ago (GIB'S 300th). Fab fireworks and party in Casemates - thankyou all you Gibbers.

We stayed at the BRISTOL - Hotel in town centre. Not the best hotel we've ever stayed in but perfectly addaquate for the price, fair breakfast serverd in a poolside room, fridge in room (not noisy) and en-suite. We don't ask for much more at under £50 pppn.

Other than the usual rock tour by taxi or cabkle car we recomend dolphin watching with "The Real Dolphin Saffari" there are loads of boats doing it but you'll know you've got the right one if you speak to Tim or Conchi.

To sumerise - basic but good value.

Hope this helps

Jon The Dog

9. Re: B&B or pub accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 04:18