We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

Jersey
Destination Expert
for Jersey
Level Contributor
2,115 posts
74 reviews
Save Topic
Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

Hi!

We are 4 girls in our early(ish) 20s looking for a week in the Sun this June.

Gibraltar seems to tick most of the boxes on our wishlist with nightlife, sunshine, sea views (although we live in Jersey so have those all year round anyway!) and opportunity for excursions.

Can anyone reccommend self catering accommodation or a cheap B&B in or very near Gibraltar? Somewhere with a pool would be the ideal but we can live without that if needs be.

If we had to be further out I'd consider hiring a car; what is driving and parking like in the area?

Thanks

gibraltar
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

Hi

driving and parking in gib is chaos. You can walk,catcha bus or taxi it will save you time and hassle. Buses come quiet often with A/C. I myself don't even use my car on a daily basis. To much traffic.

Hotels depends on your budget The Caleta Palace Hotel is just next to the beach and has a small/meduim size pool, but its one of the most expensive in gib. Also The Rock Hotel bigger pool, as or even more expensive than The Caleta Palace and its off the coast, closer to Main Street where main shops and bars would be. Bristol Hotel very small pool also close to Main street/bars and much cheaper.

The Continental Hotel Very close to casemates where the main bars are and also very near the shops. No need to grab a taxi after a late night out. Not to sure if hotels offer self catering, what i can say is that eating out in gib is not that expensive. If not having a pool in the hotel does not bother, i would recommend the beach its clean and there's nice chringuitos (beach restaurants) where you can eat and drink.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

Hi

I agree with the previous poster about driving in Gib....it's simply not worth it, too much traffic and nowhere to park. The buses are efficient and cheap and Gibraltar is small enough that you can walk to most places. It's also very safe, so even at night after a night out, you'll be ok walking to your hotel.

Unfortunately, accommodation is expensive, although June is not peak season so it might be worth getting a few quotes from hotels. The Elliots is very nice and central....but I don't think it'll be cheap.

You could stay across the border in La Linea.....loads of cheaper hotels and 'pensiones' or guesthouses there. Or further afield in Estepona, Puerto de La Duquesa or any other place up the coast. You'll probably need a hire car.

selfcatering....the only place I know that used to do it is Ocean Heights....try googling. My brother-in-law rented an apartment there for 2 weeks a few years ago and although the building is not pretty, it is right by Main Street, has a pool and was clean.

Nightlife...Casemates, a big square with bars and restaurants, is a good place for the evenings and both marinas have good restaurants.

The beaches are clean and the waters are safe. Catalan Bay is a small beach with a few nice restaurants serving fish. Eastern beach is also good....get a spot by Latino's towards the end, it where most people your age hang out!

Have a great time!!

gibraltar
Level Contributor
207 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

The nearest hotel in Spain to the frontier is iberostar hotel a 5 min walk from the frontier. Stayed there for a work fuction and its was good though dont know about self catering if its offered. This hotel is new no more than 3 years.

Word of warning avoid The Underground club, Sax II night club, Market Tavern bar and the Tunnel bar. All the rest are ok.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,162 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

Actually, if you go to

holiday-rentals.co.uk

search Gibraltar and a few apartments are up for weekly rentals.

Good luck

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

Gibraltar is fine for a day or three but you will DEFINITELY get bored with the night life. I would recommend staying in Spain and just visit the rock for a day (or possibly two). I only go there 'cos my wife is South African and she doesn't need a visa!

If Gib floats your boat cos of language barrier get in touch with my brother Charles whose details are on www.pueblalucia.com and he can point you in the right direction. He has luxury accommodation 1 hour from Gib and knows Andalucia well enough to make some recommendations.

6. Re: Self Catering / B&B accommodation?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 December 2009, 07:17