We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

Hello, I will ask the same question about Gibraltar and the other ports of call on our cruise in May 2011. What inexpensive things are there to do in Gibraltar and the following ports we are visiting? Tenerife, Canary Islands; Gibraltar, UK Territory ;Alicante, Spain ;Barcelona, Spain ;Marseille, France ;Florence / Pisa (Livorno), Italy ;Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy. We like to walk wherever we can from the ship (if possible) & we prefer to go to nice sandy beaches & swim (not into snorkeling, just clean clear water swimming). Wherever we go at ports, we like to be SAFE and avoid potentially dangerous areas & situations. If we can't find a nearby swimming beach by walking or cheap taxi or bus ride, we then like to just walk to see the sights and get to know the area on foot. Any suggestions you might have & comments on the individual port is greatly appreciated! Thank You for your help!

Treasure Island...
Destination Expert
for Ronda
Level Contributor
10,757 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

Why not just walk around town, l love going into one of the pubs and have a couple of beers. It would be great if you could go to the top of the rock, such a view. As for Barcelona, Sagrada Familia is a must, and of couse Rome is Rome. Rome is about a hour from the port but well worth the trip. If l had one thing to see in Rome for me would be The Colissenm or The Vatican. Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain are free. If you have time go on the T.A. for your other cities and ask the same question.Good luck and have fun. Hubie

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

In Gibralar I would walk from the cruise ship to the cable ar. The walk will take you through town where you can have a coffee at the Piazza and do a bit of people watching. It's about an hours walk, depending on how distracted you get along the way.

Go up the Rock on the cable car, see the sights and then walk back to your ship.

If you want the beach...walk from your shp into town...by Casemates you should get the bus that goes to Catalan Bay. Go for a swim and have lunch in La Mamela

Enjoy!

San Francisco Bay...
Level Contributor
178 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

Hello Again, Thanks for the input. Walking around and doing the cable car to go up the Rock sounds great! Does anyone know what the cost of the cable car to do this is? Also, We can get off the ship in Gibraltar at about 10am and will need to be back on the ship at 3pm. Also, please shed some light on whether it is safe for an older couple to wonder around this area & whether there are areas to be cautious etc.(we are both in great shape). Thank you.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,171 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

It's about £8.00 return. Don't pay in euros as it'll work out more expensive.

Get off on the 1st stop to have a look at the apes and then get back on to go to the top. If you have time, wander down from the top station to St Michael's cave and then back up again for your return journey.

Gibraltar is very safe, you'll be fine anywhere. But watch out for the apes...don't carry any visible food because they;ll snatch it off. It's hard to remember they're wild animals;)

Boston
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

I am reading with a great interest about Gibraltar. We are planning to rent a car in Malaga and drive on E-15 to Gibraltar and spend the day there .

My first question is related to parking - is it difficult to find parking?

If we get there early in the morning around 8/9AM, would it be feasiable to take the cable car, see the Rock and be done with Gibraltar in early afternoon? Is there anything else that is "a must" while in Gibraltar?

Do we really need British pounds or would our credit card be sufficient?

Leicester, United...
Level Contributor
2,245 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

Cable Car is £9 return. There are no one-way fares. As already stated pay in pounds as the exchange rate to Euro is not good. The mid station on the cable car is closed April to September. The 4 must do things to see on the rock [Nature Reserve] imo are Siege Tunnels, Top of rock, Apes and St Michael's Cave. £10 ticket. Otherwise entrance to rock on foot is £0.50 but you can't enter Siege Tunnels or Cave. Get a "map" and bus timetable from Tourist Info Office in Casement Square. Credit cards are widely accepted [Not sure about AMEX but Visa readilly accepted]. Some currency [pounds preferable or Euro if no other need for pounds] would be sensible for any small purchases. There are sometimes minimum spends on a card or a charge if under say £10. Parking on streets in Gibraltar is not easy but there are some car parks. Saw one in centre by the Botanical Gardens that I think is free

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

Whatever you do, don't go into Marks and Sparks! DW had something she had to look for, but it was horribly crowded. I got claustrophobia and had to leave. She finally gave up and we continued our walk through town which was also crowded.

Gibraltar, Europe
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

If you only have 5 hours in Gibraltar it is not long to walk to the Cable Car and get back down again. It could be wise to try to get a taxi to take you to the Cable car station. They may try to get you to do a rock tour, but they should take you where you want to go. I would insist. It cant cost more than £10 to get there unless you are very unlucky and get into some super bad traffic jams.

Doing a rock tour, either by cable car or by taxi is a nice way to see Gibraltar. The taxi drivers could encourage you to join up with some other pasengers and do the taxi rock tour which takes maybe up to 2 hours. You do get your guide to the place and you can be sure that they will get you back to the ship on time. It is slightly more than you had perhaps intended but (unless it is pouring with rain) you will get some wonderful views across 2 continents, some great photos of apes and the chance to see why Gibraltar survived the seiges.

Cardiff , UK
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

we are visiting gibraltar on a cruise and are there for 5 hours , my son is in a mobility scooter and was wondering if we can get around okay with his scooter - are buses , taxis accessable for him or should we make arrangements to possible hire a car

Uk
Level Contributor
350 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gibraltar- Inexpensive things to do from the cruise port?

Midiman: You may be best off doing a minibus tour of the Rock. I think most cruise operators pre-book these for the date they will arrive in Gibraltar.

The Gibraltar Bus Company buses are modern low-floor. However, as you say 'mobility scooter' and not wheelchair and don't mention his age, I'm not sure whether they'll accept his mobility scooter on board.