We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

England, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

I'm hoping to arrange a stay for at least two months on a self-catering basis.

I would appreciate information on what UK High St. chain shops have branches there and how their food & wine / men's clothing / electronics prices currently compare with the UK, especially where VAT is concerned.

Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty identifying them or locating any of their merchandise on the net, so if anybody could please supply home page links please, I'd be very grateful.

Thanks.

Spain
Level Contributor
278 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

For food we have a Morrison's and it is more expensive than the UK by some distance. It is cheaper to go to the supermarkets over in Spain for everyday items. There is also an Eroski which is a Spanish franchise but sells Waitrose products. I haven't actually been in there as of yet. Eroski provide home delivery as well which Morrison's do not if you want to get a big shop.

Men's clothes - Marks and Spencer which is approx £5 more per item than in the UK, Tommy Hilfiger, BHS, Peacocks which are UK prices. M & S do have a small food hall but it is expensive in my opinion. Again, Spain have men's shops too, H & M, Zara, C & A. You will not struggle for clothes.

Electronics very much depend on what you want. They can be more or less expensive than the UK. We've just bought a new camera which we haggled down to £420 inc card and case whereas in the UK it was £480 for the camera alone. Do expect to haggle, never accept the first price.

The fact Gib is no duty does not make it a cheaper place to live. There are import costs and transport costs which are passed onto the customer. But you will have no trouble for 2 months sustaining yourself. Enjoy.

England, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

Thank you for your thorough reply, I wonder if I can ask you to clarify a point please.

If shopping in Spain are there any problem items to avoid when returning to Gib and how many of the Spanish shops are within walking distance (non-driver).

I'll make a point of looking in M&S for clothing before I leave the UK.

Thanks.

Spain
Level Contributor
278 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

No problem foods to bring back from Spain. If you walk from the border, up past the row of shops and cross over into the square, go across the square and at the end of the taxi rank there is a zebra crossing, cross here and go down that street (i cant for the life of me remember the name, could be Calle San Jose) and Mercadona halfway down. Walking distance from the border although I wouldn't like to bring loads of heavy things back! You can always get a taxi back from the border. The price of food is so much cheaper in my opinion. There are certain things I still go to Morrisons for, bleach, fabric conditioner, frozen stuff but in the main I shop in Mercadona as do a lot of Gibraltarians.

Level Contributor
593 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

I wouldn't describe the price difference as that horrendous between Morrisons Gibraltar and UK. Some things do cost a bit more, others just occasionally do cost less (rare).

Certainly I would not say it is worth going to Spain on foot for the difference, even less for a short stay investing the time, effort to learn the way, etc.

Regarding electronics, generally the market has moved on. People want to buy very specific models of things these days. i.e. they want an "lxz85237fp" so the almost idential "..fp" model is no good, so it is difficult for small retailers in Gibraltar (with limited models) to compete. Much like it is in the UK with small retailers.

The people who can negotiate the discounts and sell in volume, such as DSG Group (currys, pcworld), can undercut, similarly the internet companies (Amazon, play, etc) are where you find the bargains.

Sadly I would certainly not come expecting to buy electronics, if you are driven by specific models and wanting a good price. The internet retailers in the UK will be able to beat the price, even with VAT. Or the deals from Dixons group.

Sadly we don't have any big chains for electonics in Gib.

Perfumes, tobacco etc, are still good deals. As is petrol - but you can't really take that back with you even if you were a driver.

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

Eroski city gibraltar is a great supermarket with loads of Waitrose products at UK prices. The quality of the supermarket is generally the best in gibraltar

King's Lynn, United...
Level Contributor
136 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

When we visited gibraltar we went in both morrisons and euroski and didn't find morrisons to be any dearer than our local store. But I much prefer the euroski

Gibraltar
Level Contributor
3 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

I love shopping @ Eroski City Gibraltar, especially since they have brought in Waitrose. Definately value for money and great quality...

Hampshire
Level Contributor
259 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

Can not agree that Morrisons is a lot more expensive than the UK. On the whole prices are very similar. A weekly shop of every day items costing say £80 in the UK may work out at £82 or £83 in Gib. As for Marks clothes costing £5 per item more, definitely not, very similar prices.

Reference electronic goods, I would, without hesitation advice buying in the UK. Camera's will not be cheaper in Gib. Plus if anything goes wrong there is usually no trouble exchanging faulty goods with the likes of Argos, Dixons, John Lewis etc. the same can not be said for small outlets in Gib

Gibraltar, null...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

Cant believe you are saying Morrisons is not much more expensive than the UK.... ask anyone in Gib when you get there or visit morrisons and compare the prices with any uk supermarket site on your smartphone.

I recommend Eroski, their waitrose lines get better every week, and they sell amazingly at uk prices, price of fruit and veg is seriously cheaper than morrison's (more like spanish prices) .... and if you want to treat yourself you get free home delivery

Level Contributor
593 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: UK Supermarkets & Stores in Gibraltar

Some products are cheaper at Morrisons in Gibraltar compared to the UK, others are the other way around.