We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What's to see on Rock from top of cable car exit?

Spring Hill, FL
Level Contributor
474 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
What's to see on Rock from top of cable car exit?

We are seniors who have been on a really great taxi tour several years ago, but we're going again with another couple who have not been there. We're thinking of taking cable car up and down and are wondering what is in the vicinity of where the cable car lets you off. How far to the ape's den, for instance. Also, what is the price for cable car both ways?

Level Contributor
640 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What's to see on Rock from top of cable car exit?

Well, the cable car takes you to the top of the rock at a point localted roughly in the middle north-south.

You have great views down both sides - the main city side is on the west (bay of gibraltar) side where virtually all of the roads on the upper rock run, and the east side (mediteranean) is steeper and more natural. The top station has a good panoramic viewing platform. You can also see Spain to the west and north, and morocco to the south, med to the east and (just) out to the atlantic to the south west.

Some taxi tours will drive along the peak ridge, stopping to letting people out where you will get virtually the same views they would get from going into the cable car top station itself!

But not all taxi tours do this, some take a lower and quicker route to get about the upper rock, so you only get views of the bay side, and not from the top.

The cable car does have a middle station right at the apes den, but they only stop there during the off-peak winter season, during the summer season it is non-stop to the top. However in terms of seeing monkeys, this is not a problem, - no matter where you go you will see them, there are loads around the cable car station (and all other places people gather - the monkeys are not stupid and they want to steal crips, icecream, etc!)

The other attractions on the upper rock are bit lower down, plenty of people do walk down from the Cable Car top station to St Michaels Cave, but many of them will then continue walking down rather than back up for the cable car down. (some people do walk back up though).

You mention you are seniors, I would never assume anything about anyones mobility by their age, but keep in mind some bits of upper road are quite steep - at uncomfortable angles for ankles. Also, walking down a hild can sometimes be more uncomfortable than walking up a hill (although you do have the gravity assist going down).

If you walked to St Michaels Cave, you would then be at totally the wrong end of the upper rock to visit the Great Siege Tunnels and/or the WW2 tunnels (which are at the north end).

As I'm sure you would agree, the main things any new visitor should do is get UP the rock, the next thing they should do is get INSIDE it. And while St Michels Cave is very nice and I would encourage people to visit, the tunnels are very unique to Gibraltar (galleries of gun emplacements in tunnels).

While I'm the last person to suggest a taxi tour, it does let people get around the upper rock quite easily, and to Europa Point etc (southern tip of the rock, with views of the straight (between the atlantic and med) and africa even if it is a cloudy day at the top.

Personally, I'd probably suggest you negotiate with a taxi driver to see what they plan to include. I'd suggest you SAY you want to go along the very top of the rock, stopping for some views there and that you want to do St Micahels Cave and the Great Siege Tunnels.

You could potentially also do the WW2 tunnels if you have time (I would strognly encourage this, but the driver would not want to hang around, so you could walk down from the WW2 tunnels, stopping at the moorish castle on the way. (Personally, the moorish castle is not worth a stop if gving up on it can be used while negotiating with the dirver.).

He may also offer you The 100ton Gun as a tour stop, while this is virtually unique (only gibraltar and malta), there is not a lot to see and Europa Point now has Hardings Battery as part of it. which has been restored with an old gun (not quite as big, but you certainly get the idea).

The other thing to make sure you are clear about is whether the upper rock entry fee is included in the taxi tour price.

As a passenger in a vechile it is priced at 10 pounds (10GBP) per person (the taxi drivers pay it for you, and they do actually get a discount but not publicised, just check that when you are agreeing a price for the tour it does OR does not have the entry fee on top so there is no surprise. The entry fee includes access to St Michaels Cave, Great Siege Tunnels, Moorish Castle, etc.

If you walk up as a pedestrian it is 50 pence (i.e. 0.50 GBP) for entry to the upper rock, but this does not include the sites (cave, tunnels etc), you can upgrade to the full ticket for the difference (9.50 GBP).

The Cable Car prices include payment of a pedestrian entry fee (i.e. 0.50p is accounted to the govt, so you are free to roam), but the cable car tickets do not (unless you upgrade to the £10 version) include sights (cave, siege tunnels) etc.

Cable Car single 10 or 12 GBP (can't remember off the top of my head) Return 12 or 14 GBP I think.

Add 10 GBP onto that if you want to upgrade to the ticket that includes the sights.

So I think it is about 20-25 GBP return for the cable car with the sites, the problem is unless you fancy walkg about the upper rock, you are not really in the best place of them, especially the other 'must sees' - the Cave and the tunnels (both types).

The WW2 tunnels are inside the upper rock, near the moorish castle, so you need a ticket to get inside, they are then a further 8 GBP on top for a guided tour.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
2,263 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What's to see on Rock from top of cable car exit?

Great views at the top where you get off the cable car. You can wander down from there to St Michael's cave, about 10-15 min downhill but then you have to go back uphill, a well surfaced road but steepish, nice walk, you can just take it easy as virtually no cars use it. Monkeys at the top too so you'll be entertained

3. Re: What's to see on Rock from top of cable car exit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 13:43
4. Re: What's to see on Rock from top of cable car exit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2015, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar
Recent Conversations