We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Struggling to choose between two hotels

Which Gibraltar hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Struggling to choose between two hotels

Staying for three nights over New Year and really struggling to choose between the following:

Deluxe Sea View room on the 8th floor of the Eliott.

Top floor room with balcony at The Rock Hotel.

Obviously, The Rock is iconic but there are so many poor reviews at the moment and trying to correspond with them over the last 10 days via email is like pulling teeth! Even when resending the same query to both the reservations manager and the operations manager, they still fail to reply as promised, even with repeated prompting. (Don't they want the business)?

On the other hand , the Eliott has almost nothing but good reviews and is my instinctive choice.

So I would greatly appreciate any feed back, especially from anyone who has experienced both or know how the rooms compare.

My thoughts are that the Rock might be quieter both inside and out and might have bigger rooms. However, the Eliott is not so far away from everything (does that mean it might be noisier as well)?

If there are any residents out there who want to take a sneaky peak at the rooms and report back I'll owe you a drink during the festivities!

Thanks in advance for any input.

Level Contributor
543 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Struggling to choose between two hotels

What kind of noise are you worried about - general city noise or new years eve celebrations noise?

In terms of general city noise, I would expect them to be much the same. Eliott: Due to pedestrianized city center, not much traffic, even for a small place - and you will be high above it. So I certainly would not give it any bad points or noise concerns from its location.

Rock hotel: the traffic on Europa road going past you is lower than you are but close, bikes can get up to a higher speed on the hill than they can in town. But it is new years so not that many people will be working...

In terms of new years eve noise, two things you should know:

- the main public festivities and fireworks take place in casemates square, but you will find private fireworks being let off right across gibraltar. (It can briefly look like a bit of a war zone, with things flying over other buildings etc! - Great fun to watch, from behind some glass.)

With the Rock Hotel, unless taking taxis, etc, you do have the hill to walk up each time you pop out, with the eliott you are in the city centre - on the flat bit of land, easier to pop-back and forth.

Personally, I'd probably take the Eliott which is certainly a fine hotel.

The Rock hotel does have its character and certainly its history - but they do need to finesse things a bit.

Can't remember the room sizes it is MANY years since I have been a sleeping guest in either.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 00:37
Maidstone, United...
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Struggling to choose between two hotels

Thanks for that - very helpful.

Gibraltar
Destination Expert
for Gibraltar
Level Contributor
656 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Struggling to choose between two hotels

And now for a short answer: The Elliot, without question.

4. Re: Struggling to choose between two hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 15 May 2014, 01:05
5. Re: Struggling to choose between two hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Gibraltar