We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,917 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Hello all! I am taking my daughter to Madrid for her 10th birthday. I have no idea how or why she chose Madrid, but of all the places in Europe, this is where she wants to go...

We will be arriving on a Thursday morning, leaving Sunday night. She'd love to see some theater, and doesn't care if it is all in Spanish, but I was thinking Flamenco. Any faves?

The Prado is a must see, any tips for the younger set?

I'd really appreciate any insider tips on visiting Madrid with a kid... special playgrounds, unique shops, pastry/chocolate adventures you can recommend.

ps We live in Paris, so this is not as decadent as it may sound and she has "been around" somewhat.

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Maybe your daughter would be interested in seeing this show at the palacio de los Deportes?

palaciodedeportes.com/html/eventos_frm.asp

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,917 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

WOW, the Who. I saw them when I was a teen! Any other hints. I know it is a broad question, but I do help out considerably on the Paris site, so I guess it is my turn...

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Sorry that link I gave you didn't appear to turn out too good!

What I wanted you to see (that your 10 year old would be interested in-can't see her going for The Who) was this

DISNEY ON ICE: "PRINCESAS"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Del Miércoles 7 de marzo

al Domingo 11 de marzo

Toda la magia de los personajes de Disney llegan de nuevo al Palacio de Deportes. En esta ocasion, el espectáculo "Princesas" es un viaje espectacular a los castillos y tierras lejanas de tus princesas favoritas de Disney. No faltará ninguna: Cenicienta, Jasmine, Ariel, Blanca Nieves, La bella durmiente y Mulan.

Venta de localidades:

El Corte Inglés Tlf: 902 400 222

www.elcorteingles.es

Taquillas oficiales del Palacio de Deportes Avenida de Felipe II s/n Sólo los días en los que hay evento

surrey, england
Level Contributor
27 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Hi I am taking my two daughters aged 10 and 13 in April for 5 days and would be grateful for any ideas on what to do with them!

regards,

Maria

FBV
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
731 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

An option is to take them to a funfair. In Madrid, there are two:

- Parque de Atracciones. It's the oldest one, although quite big and always improving, and the closest one to the centre. You can go either by subway (line 10, Batán station), bus or cable car. I Think the latter is the one the kids will enjoy more. The cable car is called Teleférico, and it departs from Paseo del Pintor Rosales, not far away from the Debod Temple, and croses all the Casa de Campo.

- Warner Bros. Park. The easiest and cheapest way is to take a Cercanías (commuter rail) from Atocha station.

the big blue marble
Level Contributor
15,917 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Probably would help to add that we will be there in May, so no Disney on Ice for us.

A Flamenco show is on the top of her list, are any of them better than others, would any of them be inappropriate with kids?

Mariasurrey - I gave my daughter the guidebook, "A Great Weekend in Madrid" (it is in French, the translation may be slightly off) and today she chose the four sights she most wants to visit; The Palace, the Prado, the train statin that has palm trees and the Sunday flea market.

The guide book has gotten her really excited about the trip and I'd highly recommend it for your girls.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Don't forget the Parque del Retiro, Sunday is a good day for the paseo, when families turn out to promenade round the park. You could go rowing on the lake & there are shows.

You could take your daughter to the Cholocateria San Gines (on the Pasadizo San Gines) for chocolate con churros, it gets very busy. La Mallorquina on the Puerta del Sol is good for pastries.

There is also the Palacio Real, it is beautiful & I'm sure your daughter would appreciate it.

A tour on the hop on-off tourist bus might be a good idea, too.

Re flamenco, I can't recommend any personally, but this link may give you some ideas - madrid-tourist-guide.com/en/entertainment/fl… You could email & ask if any would be suitable, or another idea would be to go to a tourist office when in Madrid & ask for recommendations.

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
589 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Hi!

My husband and I are traveling to Madrid at the end of December and I have been researching things to do with our daughters ages 9, 13 and 15. There was an article in the New York Times about Madrid and one of the things they mentioned was an authenic Turkish bath near Atcocha station. I looked up the website and it had a lot of information and it looks like a lot of fun!!! You can combine a bath and massage with lunch or dinner and a show if you like. I'm pretty sure we are going to go. I specificallly asked if we could all stay together as a family in the bath and they said yes. Here is the website:

http://www.medinamayrit.com/index.php

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

Phread,

Your daughter has very good taste. Her choices the Palace (west side of the historic center, Prado (east side), Atocha (RR station with palm trees is a 10+ minute walk from the Prado) and the Rastro (Sunday flea market) is in this area. Also, a friend picked up a used flamenco dress for around 20E at the Rastro in June....and she was going to give it to her daughters for "dress-up". New ones of that quality would cost around 200E at retail. One can't guarantee that, but it's worth a look.

Senoraylan mentioned Retiro (near the Prado), Chocoloteria San Gines for churros y chocolate, La Mallorquina (for pastries) and the Hop-on-off bus. I second all of hers as well.

As for suggestions of amusement park or zoo, I think that the fun of another city is as exotic as an amusement park...and there is a Disney one outside of Paris so I would pass on that. That is just my very personal opinion.

Your daughter seems like the type of person whom you could tell to look on the Prado website and pick 10 (20?) favorite paintings and let her choose what she wants to see. Ask her to do the research? Or each of you choose 10. Or she picks and you play teacher. Lots of options depending on the individual.

I will beg off an opinion on flamenco but I will add that most of the theatres are in the area of Plaza de Santa Ana, which is an area of some flamenco as well.

Buen viaje - bon voyage.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: A kid's fantasy weekend in Madrid

I forgot to add to my list, your daughter might like the Teleférico, a cable car with fantastic views over Madrid - http://www.teleferico.com/madrid/

There is a zoo & an amusement park at the Casa del Campo, where the cable car leaves from.

Check out www.munimadrid.es for more info. (The site seems to be down at this present moment in time, so maybe try later - it's a good site)

www.softdoc.es/madrid_guide/info/info.html is another helpful site