We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

Surrey
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

I'm taking my girlfriend to madrid as a birthday present and want to stay in a top hotel which is very modern, i was going to stay at Hotel puerta america, the one where every floor is design by a differnt world class designer but heard that it was far away from everything and that the rooms were very small

I need some help please as her birthday is in May

Thanks

FBV
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
731 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

Yes, the Puerta de América is quite far from the touristic centre. Some central options that you have are:

- Hotel Urban*****, next to the Parliament and Sol square. It has a swimmig pool on the roof (that I think is closed during cold months) and a very popular cocktail bar, the Glass Bar.

- ME de Meliá****, also known as ME Reina Victoria. In Santa Ana square, the center of nighlife, with lots of bars and pubs in surronding streets, close to Sol. It has a louge bar, The Penthouse, on the roof, and the Midnight Rose bar.

- AC Palacio del Retiro*****, in front of the Retiro park, and close to the Prado museum.

All these are in fashion, trendy hotels, that have been opened the last years. Some reviewers complain about the small size of some standard rooms, but I think this is a common problem of almost all European hotels. There are other options that I surely forget, but nobody is perfect!

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

The ME Reina Victoria looks beautiful & is situated on the buzzing Plaza Santa Ana, check it out on www.solmelia.com or http://www.mebymelia.com/

Another new hotel across the plaza which we really liked the look of is the Room Mate Alicia - www.room-matehotels.com

Surrey
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

Thanks is there anywhere else that you would recommend

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

I second the motion for any of the hotels that people have already mentioned, im sure one of them is in your price range and they are all in great locations.

I wouldnt stay at puerta america, I have been there for drinks, and its not convenient to the center on public transport considering you can stay at these other great places in the cener. Besides, the funiture is from Ikea and on the outdoor terrace all the stone flooring is starting to crack and break up. its "fashion" but seems cheaply done.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

I think the Puerta America is a design nightmare to put it bluntly.

The new ME Reina Victoria is very well done and the place to be, for now. The rooftop bar is always busy far into the night (morning), as is the main bar, with the bulls still on the wall, and restaurant. The rooms are well done and we did like the idea of the "maxi-bar" in each room, but my personal favorite is the AC Palacio del Retiro. Even their standard rooms are quite nice and the service is very professional

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
368 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

robert, I totally agree. I aplaud you for not being as diplomatc as I was. It just put me off when I was there for drinks, the patio is falling apart after only 2 years and in the top floor bar they try to be so trendy, most of the bar staff was very aloof (as if they were so cool) One girl was nice though. The only redeeming quality (besides the fact they have the same 20 euro ikea lamps that I have at home) is that they usually have a live jazz trio playing which is nice.

I have yet to go to the ME Reina Victoria for drinks but im sure with the recent renovation its a fantastic hotel. The Urban is great too, especially since they have a cool bar and atmosphere and great service.

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

FBV,

Thanks for taking the time to share your top picks. If it were you, which one out of the ones you listed would you book? Assuming money is not a factor, which one would you book if you had the choice? I see you are a local expert so your advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,

Mike

San Diego...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
4,472 posts
765 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

I just booked the Urban Hotel for 3 nights. A bit steep at u$s 575 per night for a suite but the rooms look amazing and the hotel looks top class. I'll compare the high end apartments to this hotel. I'm looking forward to my trip!

Mike

Madrid
Level Contributor
124 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

I vote also for Hotel ME Madrid Reina Victora at the heart of nightlife.

Suggestion for a romantic dinner:

Restaurante La Vaca Veronica, calle Moratin, 38.

Nearby Hotel Reina Victoria can see live jazz at Café Central, plaza del Angel, 10.

10. Re: Best Modern Hotel in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2009, 10:18