We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

3 posts
Save Topic
Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

I am only going to be in Madrid for 1 day and will be staying in town. Can I use my US credit card (Visa) to get train tickets from the airport to town and then buy tickets at a station to go back to the airport the next day? I think most restaurant and shopping in Madrid will accept credit cards but I am not sure about train tickets. I am trying to decide if I need to get some Euro in advance before I leave US. Thanks in advance.

Mercado de San Cristobal
Gift & Speciality Shops
Amores Eternos
Gift & Speciality Shops
Nomada Market
Flea & Street Markets
9 replies to this topic
surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

Always bring some euros with you for contingencies.

I have always used credit cards to buy metro tickets. However i am using a uk credit card to purchase tickets.

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

I wasn't able to. But there's a good chance it was because I was too stupid and/or don't know a lick of Spanish.

Regardless there's no need to get Euro in advance when you can just use an ATM and get a better exchange rate than exchanging hard currency in the US.

3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

Thanks for the responses which helps.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

Yes, you can get money from an atm but with a debit card (atm card) but hopefully not a credit card as it is considered to be a loan. Anyway it is a good to buy some euros for pocket money before your departure from the states.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
60,722 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

Yes, but you really should have some cash backup.

Chester, UK
Level Contributor
35 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

Your card needs to be chip and pin-enabled

Edited: 15 December 2017, 12:25
Boston...
Level Contributor
4,202 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

ah, that explains my problem. Thanks. My US cards have a chip but based on being asked for a signature when I used them I'm pretty sure not 'pin-enabled'.

OP, I'm pretty sure my situation (chip, but not pin-enabled) is the case with the vast majority of current US credit cards so you probably can't use yours in the machines. Wouldn't hurt to ask your cc company though. I was reading some US companies do provide pin-enabled cards now but it's a small minority.

Edited: 15 December 2017, 13:53
New Jersey
Level Contributor
154 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

I used a US MasterCard with chip to buy RENFE and Madrid Metro tickets this August, no problems, no PIN. BTW, I was rushing to make a train in busy Atocha station when a ticket machine 'ate' my card. I was panicking a bit when I saw a guy in a RENFE uniform helping people, and I indicated what happened. He told me to stay by the machine and someone would come - being from the NYC area, I thought 'yeah, right'. Sure enough, a guy with a tool box and keys came in a few minutes opened a bunch of modules inside the unit and extracted my card! A nice touch: he looked at the card and asked me my name before handing it over. I was impressed.

surrey, england
Level Contributor
5,841 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?

Here is my experience with renfe. You can not use any foreign credit cards to buy tickets online. However you can use a foreign credit card to buy tickets in person at the ticket window.

For online purchase use the paument by paypal and it works wonder.

Reply to: Does train stations in Madrid take US credit cards?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted