We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Passport control - T4 Departures

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
360 posts
195 reviews
Save Topic
Passport control - T4 Departures

It has been annoying for a while but our last departure from Barajas T4 was the worst, Sunday, last Nov 26 2017. The two officers on booth 12 left and right for Non EU travelers were terrible. The lines were the longest I have seen, the entire area crowded to the max.

It is not uncommon to see the officers engaged in conversations while they are checking you or not calling people in because they are too busy talking. That Sunday Nov. 26, these two officers were talking non stop from the moment we got on line ( we could see from the distance) and continued until it was our turn, over an hour after. Our two lines on that booth would not move and when it did make it to them officers it was obvious that they were not paying attention the job either, perfunctory.

We, all passengers fearing we were going to miss our flights were wondering about a supervisor around but it there was no one around and also we feared repercussion if we complained.

It begs the question about security also. How could they be paying attention to security issues with travelers while they are so engaged talking?

Somebody must pay attention to this matter at Barajas Airport.

4 replies to this topic
Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
3,177 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Passport control - T4 Departures

I recently passed through passport control at T4 and the officer was watching something on his iPad!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Passport control - T4 Departures

"It begs the question about security also. How could they be paying attention to security issues with travelers while they are so engaged talking?"

Are you saying security personnel were chatting with each other when you went through security check prior to entering the departures area? Because immigration officials are not tasked with ensuring the security of the airport, any more than Customs officers (whom you won't have encountered, in transit).

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Passport control - T4 Departures

They serve no purpose whatsoever as far as security is concerned. Their purpose is to stamp your passport.

Albuquerque, NM
Level Contributor
1,937 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Passport control - T4 Departures

Actually, my wife told me I was wrong. She said her sister saw someone detained on a flight in from Colombia. So they know when they need to pay attention.

Reply to: Passport control - T4 Departures
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted