We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid to Granada - help pls!

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Madrid to Granada - help pls!

Hi, does it make more sense for me to travel to Madrid first, then Granada, followed by Barcelona? As I would need to catch a plane to Paris on my last leg, I would have thought that putting Barcelona as the last would be more ideal, not sure about Madrid and Granada though. What's there to see in Granada? Instead of flying over to Granda, was thinking of whether it makes more sense for me to base myself at Madrid and then take day trips out of Madrid? What do you guys think?

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid to Granada - help pls!

How long have you got in Spain?

Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid to Granada - help pls!

I will be in Madrid for 3 days, 2 days in Grananda followed by 3 days in Barcelona.

Downers Grove, IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid to Granada - help pls!

We took the AVE train to Seville from Madrid, then a train to Granada, then flew back to Madrid on Spanair (very reasonable flight!). We really enjoyed Granada -- the Alhambra is not to be missed -- it was one of the highlights of the whole trip. There is also a Cathedral and Royal chapel that we enjoyed on the first afternoon in Granada. We had two nights in Granada and that worked well. You need to reserve tickets ahead of time for the Alhambra -- l called and it was quick and easy to do with a credit card by phone, and good to pick the time you wanted and avoid lines. Granada is too far for a day trip from Madrid, but we did take a bus to Segovia from Madrid and enjoyed that. If l had more time in Madrid I would have gone to Toledo one day too, but we had heard more about Segovia and wanted to see the aqueduct there.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid to Granada - help pls!

I like what chewpei says, but if you want to go on to Barcelona rather than return to Madrid, there are cheap flights Granada-Barcelona if you book far enough ahead. Iberia has some flights for 38-48 E which means the discount airlines do as well...or even better.

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid to Granada - help pls!

With 3 days each in Madrid & Barcelona, you won't have really have enough time to make any day trips out of those cities. One full day & overnight would be enough time to see Granada...the Alhambra is not to be missed & you really should do the tapas in Granada, they're fantastic.

You could fly from Madrid to Granada & then on to Barcelona. Consider adding another day to Barcelona instead of having 2 days in Granada, don't forget that you are going to lose time travelling.

Check out Spanair & Iberia for the Madrid - Granada route & Spanair, Vueling & Iberia for the Granada - BCN route.

Singapore
Level Contributor
77 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid to Granada - help pls!

Oh great! Thanks, it has been very helpful. Managed to find some cheap fares on the airlines mentioned.

What about an overnight train ride from Madrid to Granada? How much does it cost and how long does it take?

7. Re: Madrid to Granada - help pls!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 03:16