We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with the Metro

Galway
14 posts
Save Topic
Help with the Metro

Can anyone help with the route I would need to take from the airport to Sol Metro station as I am I am staying in the Best Western Carlos V. I think I may have to change at a couple of stations, but if anyone can tell me where I would really appreciate it. Thanks :)

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with the Metro

Whatever route you take you will need to change twice but the Madrid Metro is very easy to get around.

From Barajas, take Line 8 to Nuevos Ministerios and change onto Line 10 direction Puerta del Sur and change at Tribunal on to Line 1 direction Valdecarros two stops to Sol

Should take about about 35-40 minutes and costs €2 single (sencillo)

Galway
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with the Metro

Thanks for your help, really apprieciate it

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with the Metro

I am also thinking of doing this route, and would like an opinion on the reality of this Metro use. When we intended to arrive in a group w/ 4 seniors, I wasn't going to consider it, but now it is just me & my wife.

We arrive @ the airport on a weekday morning, so I expect to be riding the Metro around 9-10am. Any "rush hour" problems?

What is the vibe to see an American couple on the Metro with their luggage? I'm a big guy (6'3" 210+lbs) and we are alert travellers, but I wonder how this situation would be when we're weighed down with luggage. I don't think it will be bad.

I very quickly learned the Paris Metro and the entire German rail system on my own, so I'm not worried about learning the system. My last question would be about how long does this journey take? 10-15 minutes? 1/2 hour? More?

Thanks in advance!

-Doug

Allen, Texas
Level Contributor
122 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with the Metro

Scratch last question, I just re-read the length of trip above! Doh!

Cadiz, Spain
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with the Metro

Rush hour in Madrid's metro is from 7 to 9/9:30 am on the weekdays (I can tell you this because I've been using the metro every morning to go to my university). Also between 2 and 4 (lunch time)

Near Sol there are always many people in the metro because is a shopping area.

About you being forgeigns, that won't be a problem at all. Pretty much all the people on the line 8 are coming from the airport and they carry their luggage. Plus, Madrid as many other european capitals is become more and more international everyday.

They only thing you should watch is if you are travelling during rush hour don't carry anything in your pockets because you may be travelling with some pickers. There's not a lot of them and you'll recognize them when you see them.

Peak District...
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
267 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with the Metro

I had no trouble on this trip leaving airport 7 pm and returning around 10 pm. ( I am tall and English, I don't fit in with the Madrid norm either).

Vilanova i la...
Level Contributor
7 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with the Metro

Dont take the metro, take a taxi! I had big problems with two suitcases, on my own, when you have to go up and downstairs and noone helps you, and then the escalators are broken. etc etc If there are two or three of you, just take one or two taxis, its just not worth the hassle and you save a few € but the stress about worrying if you are going to be pickpocketted or if the next escalators are broken, just ISNT worth it!

Id only take the metro if i was going to meet someone at the airport and i had no bags myself.

An alternativ to this is to take the bus as you come out of arrivals, this costs 1€ and takes you to Avenida de America, then from there you can take a taxi. This is a compromise in time/money too. I tried all methods on my recent trip and I can definitely say that the metro plus luggage doesnt work.

Hope that helps.

Downers Grove, IL
Level Contributor
281 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with the Metro

We took a taxi into the city and the driver drove around on the highway for an extra 15-20 minutes and then drove into the city -- with a total bill of 45E! Luckily our hotel had an outside bellman who argued with him since he was a thief. So we took the metro back to the airport and it was easy and cheap. Most stations had escalators and it was very quick too. Two Euros for each of us compared to even the 25E we gave the dishonest cab driver was a real bargain. And we didn't have to worry we were going to be ripped off. Pack light and make the whole trip easier on yourself.

London
Level Contributor
628 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with the Metro

Me and my partner took the metro from barajas to Gran Via. (Changing twice) We had a large holdall each. Like a previous poster mentioned, I saw people constantly walking around with suitcases, so you won't look out of place.

Its true a few stations do seem to have alot of stairs and escalotors (in fact we were discussing how the metro system in Madrid really is under the ground- its really deep compared to london) but its not an unbearable situation. We travelled alot of metro stations during our 3 day stay and at every station they were all in good working order.

Since your a vigilant traveller, you'll know about safety and stuff.

I raised similar question before I went to Madrid, but really its as easy as people say it is.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
69 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help with the Metro

I've done it both ways, but if I were to do it again, I'd take the taxi into the city. I was surprised by the number of flights of stairs up and down everywhere, which can be a challenge with baggage in any amount. Also, when you first arrive off the plane, you tend to be jet-lagged and a little confused, so taking on a slightly complicated Metro ride first off can be even harder than when you're caught up on your sleep and more oriented. The Metro is, in general, awesome in Madrid, but not so much on your first ride in from the airport, IMO.

With a taxi, there are some things you can do to lessen your chance of getting ripped off by unscrupulous cab drivers. First, before getting into a cab, ask them approximately how much the ride to your hotel will cost. It they suggest a crazy prize, look for another cab. Second, have a big Madrid map in hand and pretend like you know the general lay-out of the city, even if it's just an act. They'll be less likely to drive you indirect, more costly routes. Finally, if you speak any Spanish at all, use it. Those years in high school Spanish class can pay dividends in your credibility now.

Either way, Metro or taxi, you'll be OK really. Have a great trip.