We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

Hi,

I am planning my first trip to Spain. We are planning on being there for a week. Maybe a couple days in madrid and then go down to seville, granada, cordoba, etc. (How long is the trip from madrid to seville? via car? rail?)

We aren't that into museums, however would love to see the Madrid's site and architecture, etc. We are also foodies, and would love recs on good restaurants (preferably vegetarian friendly).

One of my largest questions is if we need a car - in madrid and the south? I know there are trains that go down there, but once we are there will we be lost without a car? Also, going between seville, granada, etc - how easy is it via rail vs. car?

Lastly, what places would you reccommend in the south? I know Seville is on our list, but what about the other towns/cities?

Any answers would help alot!! Please advise and thanks in advance.

New York
Level Contributor
4 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

Oh and hotel recs are also much appreciated. We prefer, nice, clean, great service accomm. that aren't dingy or too pretentious. :)

In Madrid:

We don't want to spend more than $150 -$200 per night. If we don't have a car, being near the metro or train stations would help also near the city center and sites.

In Seville:

Price range is the same, not sure if they have metro, but being in the city center would be best.

Are there taxis available?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

A week will not allow much time to explore Madrid and Sevilla, let alone visit anywhere else. You should allow at least 3 to 4 days in Madrid and 2 to 3 days in Sevilla just to get a sense of the cities. Forget the car. You do not want to drive in either city.

I suggest taking the AVE from Madrid to Sevilla (2-1/2 hours). Check the rates at www.renfe.es.

You could stop off in Cordoba for an afternoon, or even spend the night, but don't try to include too much in only one week. I also suggest you read Maribel's Guides to Madrid and Sevilla and check out Explore Seville (www.exploreseville.com). Another good reference guide for Madrid is Desubre Madrid (http://www.descubremadrid.com/dm/es_ES/)

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,635 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

"La Manduca de Azagra" is not a vegetarian restaurant but you'll find there the best vegetables from one spanish region called Navarra:

sweet red pepper, artichoke, asparagus...

Adress: calle Sagasta, 14.

Gainesville, Florida
Level Contributor
79 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

I agree with Robert, you don't want to drive in either Madrid or Seville. By car the trip takes 6 hours. On the AVE high-speed train it's 2 1/2 hours at 275 kph (170 mph). Easy choice.

The Alhambra in Granada is worth seeing if you can squeeze it in. It's the second most visited site in Europe, so definitely get your tickets well in advance.

As for hotels, we had similar desires to yours. I did a lot of research on TripAdvisor and picked places that had favorable reviews across the board - Hotel II Castillas in Madrid and the Alminar Hotel in Seville. Was not disappointed in either choice.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
19,593 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

The Alhambra is wonderful but that really would be "squeezing it in".

Cordoba on the other hand is easy to combine with Madrid and Seville. I'd recommend a whole day rather than just an afternoon as there's a lot more to see than the Mezquita-cathedral. But if nothing else, do go and visit that. Built when Cordoba was capital of the western Califate, it is absolutely amazing.

You can get ordinary train from Seville to Cordoba; no point in paying the extra for that journey (AVE is not cheap)..

Info on forums here about left-luggage facilities in Cordoba if you do it as stop-off.

We like Jerez a lot (south of Seville) but I fear time is too short!

From Madrid, try and go to Toledo for the day too.

Madison, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

I second Lynda's recommendation of seeing the Mosque/Mezquita in Cordoba. Very impressive. A huge mosque with a cathedral built within its walls, but one doesn't notice the cathedral initially due to the immense size of the mosque. For its millineum sp? celebration, the lamps in the mosque were rewired to simulate the oil lamps of the origianl mosque. Definitely, a must-see in my book.

7. Re: HELP!! Questions on Madrid - Seville!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 20:19