We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

Hi there,

I am just checking that Master Card is widely accepted throughout all of Spain, particularly Southern. Of course we will have a debit card as well, but was hoping I didn't have to get a Visa card as well. Thanks

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

Never had an issue using MasterCard anywhere in Europe including southern Spain. Used it in more obscure places than Sevilla!

VISA and MasterCard are accepted all over Europe.

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

When using a credit/debit card in Spain to pay for goods or in a restaurant you will have to provide a secondary form of identification i.e your passport, though sometimes a drivers licence is ok.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
69 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

Jason made an excellent point about carrying a second identification with your credit card. ( I forgot to include that in a recent pickpocket thread about what we carry in our money belts.)

I always got asked for that secondary I.D.in Spain, and my driver's license worked 100% of the time for that. I actually appreciate that policy and wish more vendors required that in the U.S.

For me, carrying my driver's license around felt safer and easier than having my passport on me all the time. I stored that in my hotel room safe as much as possible.

Dunfermline, United...
Level Contributor
13,171 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

I can honestly say in all my visits to Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao, Sevilla and Mallorca I have never once been asked to provide a secondary piece of ID when using a credit card. I have heard stories that this gone on though, just never happened to me.

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
376 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

Unlike American Express, Mastercard is widely accepted.

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
203 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

interesting that you mentioned this. I think it is a fallacy to think Master Card is accepted "everywhere". I took both VISA and MC to Spain, and the only time I tried to use MC, I was rejected. VISA is the "international card". Also, remember that ATMs are everywhere. Enjoy.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
332 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

Thanks all, Interesting about VIsa? I willhave to look into that one.

liverpool
Level Contributor
20 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

Hi

Just returned yesterday from Madrid. The only time I used my VISA card was in Zara. The card was accepted without problem but they needed proof of identity by passport. I had to leave my goods there and return to the hotel to retrieve my passport and go back to the shop to get my purchases.

9. Re: Master Card ?? Is it okay in all of Spain

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 17:16