We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madrid Trip Report

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Topic
Madrid Trip Report

Hello Everyone,

We returned from Spain almost a week ago and what a great experience we had!

I intensely navigated through this forum and I used all the resources given by the experts to help make this trip more enjoyable. Therefore, I would like to honor their commitments to this forum. Thank you Holakjs, BennyMalaga, Revulgo, and all the others, for your time and dedication to help the rest of us, “in need” of information.

I can’t help but mention first and foremost the lively, enthusiastic and helpful Madrileños. Their joy of living, their willingness of helping everyone, their hospitality, stands up before the greatness of all the museums and other attractions that this city has to offer.

We left Barcelona, with its views from atop of stunning-magical buildings, with its narrow roman streets that lead to quiet plazas where locals shop for their “daily bread” and other bakery goods, where inhabitants parade their way through the luxury shops of Passeig de Gracia; AND immediately fell into the open waters of irregular waves of people in Plaza del Sol. The numerous long streets that lead to the open Square, hundreds of folks destined somewhere making their way through the busy merchants of chestnuts, lottery, and souvenirs, the roads loaded with trucks and cars moving in all directions, TOTALLY absorbed us! We threw ourselves into the heart and the arms of an electric Madrid!

We had only two days to visit, and decided to spend the time as efficiently as we possibly could. Therefore after a good lunch at Finca de Susana (one of the few non-smoking places we were able to find), we headed to the first museum, Thyssen Bornemisza. This fine collection offers work from English, Dutch, and German old school as well as modern impressionist and expressionist paintings. I gladly spotted a guash by Henry Moore that looked like a study for one of his seated figures (modern works, first floor).

We wandered the streets of Madrid for an hour or so, with the pleasure of doing nothing but crowd watching. Maybe it was the wine recommended by a lovely older Madrid couple, or maybe were the hundreds of people running in front of our eyes that made us decide to return to our hotel (off Plaza del Sol) and prepare for a busy evening!

Before heading to “La Casa del Abuelo”, we stopped to this lovely pastry shop in Plaza del Sol (shame on me, someone should help with the name) to satisfy my sweet tooth. The smell of cookies, coffee with milk, chocolateries, tarts, and plenty of other desserts tickled our hearts and noses and transformed us into two indecisive kids who did not know what to chose!

“Casa del Abuelo” was our firefly of the evening! This standing-only room, offers as their best specialty, Gambas a la Plancha, or Gambas al Ajillo; both accompanied with “El Abuelo” a sweet red wine, product of the house.

Some other good places we tried while in Madrid were: El Botin, for their famous (not-to-be-missed) suckling pig, Cerveceria Alemania, good beer and spirit, and Museu del Jamon for, yes you guessed, Jamon Serrano. I fanatically searched calle del Prado for “El Cenador Del Prado”, but could not find it. The listing address was officed by the Church of Scientology, yes you read it correctly!

The journey can not be completed without calling its educational vein. The city conserves the most important Spanish collection of 19th century in a wonderful neoclassical construction whose hall is illuminated by a covered dome – Prado. One can admire the best works of Velasquez – his incredible usage of lights and shadows to congeal the actions - Murillo, Ribera, Zurbaran, Rubens, and, my favorite, Goya – unfolding Spain’s anxiety and the ache of a lost war into (in my opinion) his best artistic years: the Dark Period.

To know and to understand the art of a country, one should dirty their hands into its darkest period; to try to feel Spain’s somber hours, one should mute the world out, in front of “La Guernica”. We seeped deep into the non-colored masterpiece of a nation in mourning (Reina Sofia museum).

It was already Thanksgiving Day! We glided through the splendid rooms of Palacio Real, marvelously being thankful for this wonderful journey that has enlightened our minds and embellished our souls with a warm beauty, such to be found in a world class city like Madrid.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
69 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Madrid Trip Report

Nicely done, Fleur! Good report with lots of detail. And very classy to recognize and thank our local exports; they are, indeed, pretty amazing and helpful folks. Great job!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
69 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Madrid Trip Report

Oops, that's "experts" NOT exports. Although that may be an interesting slip of the tongue here!

UK
Level Contributor
2,163 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Madrid Trip Report

>>>>>Before heading to “La Casa del Abuelo”, we stopped to this lovely pastry shop in Plaza del Sol (shame on me, someone should help with the name) to satisfy my sweet tooth. The smell of cookies, coffee with milk, chocolateries, tarts, and plenty of other desserts tickled our hearts and noses and transformed us into two indecisive kids who did not know what to chose! <<<<<

This cafe on the Puerta del Sol is probably La Mallorquina. The cakes are fantastic, but I love the little boccadillos filled with smoked salmon from there. Delicious!!

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
55,318 posts
3,494 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Madrid Trip Report

Fleur:

Thank you for your feedback. I think feedback like yours helps other travelers plan their trips. I am glad you enjoyed Madrid and I am sure you will go back sooner or later. Madrid gets in your blood! It is such a cosmopolitan city and so very interesting. Now that I live in Malaga, I go twice a year to Madrid because I enjoy it so much.

Long Beach, NY
Level Contributor
837 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Madrid Trip Report

Thank you, Fleur.

Anyone undecided about visiting Madrid should read your report.

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Madrid Trip Report

Thank you, Fleur. You did a great job of traveling as well as reporting. Your positive spirit certainly makes a big difference in visiting a city. You're positive and wonders occur...the locals are positive as well. No surprise there. Thank you for being such a gracious and articulate role model. Kay

Michigan
Level Contributor
137 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Madrid Trip Report

Thank you everyone for your compliments. I am glad that you enjoyed it. I was trying to give something back to the people who use Trip Advisor!

Thank you Senoraylan for giving the name of La Mallorquina. I was confusing it with Majaderitos (recommended by Holakjs) where i had some good churros.

Fleur

8. Re: Madrid Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 23:19