We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
STUART, FL
Level Contributor
282 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

Our flight from Barcelona gets to Madrid at 11:25 and our flight back to Miami does not leave until 15:00. I think the airport is close to town, does it make sense to take a taxi into Madrid to have a "looksee" or a quick lunch? Or is that impossible with traffic, airport waits, etc?

Madison, Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Madrid
Level Contributor
8,111 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

I would say for an international flight, it's a very dicey "looksee", but wait for other opinions. I don't like to take on that kind of stress.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
9,278 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

Holakjs is correct. You would end up having a tough time of it. You would have to allow at least one hour to travel into the city and return by taxi. You will have to be back inside the terminal one hour prior to your international flight and it may take awhile to get back through security depending on the date and the number of flights.

Lunch time in Madrid begins at 13:30, so it would be difficult finding anything decent that would actually pass as lunch.

Even with a boarding pass in hand, you would be cutting it short.

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

the quickest way to reach the city centre is metro (no traffic jams) but it still makes little sense. 30 min each way, 1:30hours before your flight back (as you're flying to the US, I'd go even earlier)... and you have less than 1 hour n the city center, with high risk on loosing your flight back home if anything happens

Yorktown, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Machu Picchu
Level Contributor
6,146 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

What terminal you are flying in/out of is also a factor. Connections between terminals can take a very long time. If you are flying into or out of terminal 4S, its takes a while to get there, even from terminal 4, where check-in is. (And longer from terminals 1,2,3) Terminal 4 & 4S are very, very long & take a long time to walk through. Terminal 4 takes longer to get to/from by metro, also.

The airport is not really very close to town, I didn't think.

We arrived at the terminal 3.5 hours before flight time. (OK, my husband was being super-conservative about having enough time). We ate lunch at a Medas cafe in the airport, & spent the remainder of our Euros on gifts in the airport shops.

UK
Level Contributor
223 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

The airport is not really close to town. Depending on which Terminal you land/depart from it is at least 10 miles by road.

I think Barcelona uses T4 and a Miami flight could use T1,2, 3 and that is almost an hour apart.

Chill out at the airport is much better IMHO!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,238 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

which terminal depends on the airline, not the origin/destination

From Barcelona, I used T4 with Iberia and T2 with Spanair.

As others said above, allow plenty of time if you depart from T4, and even more if from T4-s!

7. Re: 3 1/2 Hour Layover in Madrid

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 17:20