We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metro tourist pass + Things to do

Which Madrid hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leeds
Level Contributor
651 posts
346 reviews
Save Topic
Metro tourist pass + Things to do

Hi all,

We are looking forward to visiting Madrid from Sunday untill Wednesday. I have seen a 3 day metro tourist travel pass for zone A for 9.60 euros. What additional tickets do I need to buy to get me from the airport to Anton Martin? Is the tourist pass good value ?

We are staying at hostal Barrera, what are the best street for wine and tappas nearby and which is the best area ( nearest metro station) to head for in our quest for wine and tappering. Are there any dodgy areas that should be avoided. We have been to Seville and Granada many times without problem so we are hoping Madrid is the same.

Our love of Spain is for the Food, tappas and wine and we are not really museum or art gallery types. For this reason we are sometimes at a loss during the day so suggestion on what to do would be appreaciated. I suppose the open top bus is a good start.

Thanks in advance.

Mark

Leeds
Level Contributor
651 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metro tourist pass + Things to do

Sorry , forgot to ask, Whats the best way to get to Warner Bros. Movieworld, has anyone been there?

Cheers

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metro tourist pass + Things to do

You don't need to purchase any additional 'surcharge' tickets when using an abono turistico from the airport.

That Hostal is fairly well placed, ask how to get to Plaza Santa Ana and check out both 'Cerveceria Alemana' & 'Naturbier' for lunches + there's a cool looking wine bar on the corner where the very helpful waiters will advise you on wine by the glass/bottle (can't recall the name of that place though.

Forum member Revulgo will I'm sure point you in the right direction of further fine eateries. If you can though, try & have a meal at Botin, a very famous Madrid restaurant.

http://www.botin.es/

Madrid, Spain
Level Contributor
7,530 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Metro tourist pass + Things to do

Tapas etiquette in Madrid: here it's customary to order 'raciones' (plates of food) instead of the Andalusian single tapas. Raciones are for sharing among a few people but bread is charged extra; if you don't want bread say 'sin pan'.

Brief glossary:

- Caña (pronounce cagna): glass of beer (the real caña is 1/5 liter).

- Aperitivo: small single snack served with a glass of wine or beer in some traditional bars. It's no charged but can't be chosen by clients.

- Tosta or canape: slice of bread topped with food.

- Bocadillo: baguette sandwich, roll sandwich, sub sandwich

- Montado or montadito: small bocadillo.

- Pulga or pulguita: tiny bocadillo.

- Pincho: portion of tortilla or chorizo for one person.

- Racion: plate of food for sharing among a few friends.

- Tapa: the real tapa is a more quality aperitivo chosen by client and charged obviously.

- Ir de tapas: going for tapas is hopping from one bar to the next only having, at the counter, one drink and one tapa in each bar.

Miscellaneous tapas bars:

TABERNA ANGEL SIERRA at calle Gravina, 11. Nearby metro: Chueca. Historic old tavern with wonderful facade. Vermú de grifo (tap vermouth), 'pincho de escabeche' (pickled tuna).

TABERNA "ALMENDRO 13" at calle del Almendro, 13. Nearby metro. La Latina. Highly atmospheric and crowded bar. Suggested wine: white "Barbadillo". Try huevos rotos.

TABERNA TEMPRANILLO at calle Cava Baja, 38. Nearby metro: La Latina. Wide range of Spanish wines. Revuelto de setas (scrambled egg with mushroom).

TABERNA LA DOLORES at Plaza de Jesús, 4. Good beer. Anchovies.

LA VENENCIA at calle Echegaray, 7. Nearby metro: Sevilla. Old bohemian tavern. Drink fino (dry sherry). Lomo embuchado (cured pork loin).

LA CASA DEL ABUELO at calle Victoria 12. Nearby metro: Sol or Sevilla. 'Gambas al ajillo' (garlic prawns). Sweet wine 'El Abuelo'.

EL RINCON DE JEREZ at calle Rufino Blanco, 5. Nearby metro: Manuel Becerra. Andalusian atmosphere. Every night at 11pm some customers use to sing the "Salve Rociera", a religious song flamenco-style. It's required to respect and silence while they are singing it. Suggested tapa: caviar del monte.

BODEGAS RICLA at calle Cuchilleros, 6. Nearby metro: Sol or Tirso de Molina. Modest and authentic old tavern close to plaza Mayor. Canapé de boquerones (anchovies in vinegar), canapé de bacalao en aceite (cod in oil).

MELOS at calle Ave María, 44. Nearby metro: Lavapies. Popular bar famous by its zapatillas (large slice of bread topped with boiled pork shoulder and cheese). Other tapas: croquetas, pimientos de padrón.

GAGO at calle Bravo Murillo, just outside metro Valdeacederas. Atmosphere: authentic and no touristy tapas bar in a workers neighbourhood. Some great tapas: Oreja a la plancha -- pig's ear griddled on a very hot metal blank. Don't add any sauce! --. Filete de merluza (fillet of battered hake), bacalao (fillet of battered cod), chopitos (fried baby cuttlefish), calamares.

SAGARETXE at calle Eloy Gonzalo, 26. Nearby metro: Iglesia or Quevedo. Atmosphere: San Sebastian pintxos bar. Wide variety of tapas.

Enjoy the pavement cafés too:

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187514-c91189/Madrid…

Leeds
Level Contributor
651 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metro tourist pass + Things to do

Thanks for the replies

Tappa etiquete can be confusing at times. In Nerja tappas are free and a wine and tappa is usually around 1-2 euros and its ok to specify which tappa you want . In Granada tappas are much bigger and also free but a wine is usually 2 euros.

In Madrid are you saying that we should not ask for tappas but ask for a racion ( racions are usually charged for , about 5 euros I think where we have been before). Or should we not ask at all and see what we are given?

We love to eat and drink in local bars and are happy to have cheap white wine and whatever is given to us. We just want to blend in if you see what I mean.

Cheers

Mark

Colmenar Viejo...
Level Contributor
1,112 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metro tourist pass + Things to do

Back to your question regarding Warner Bros park the train leaves from Atocha station, there are also buses that go there that depart from Estacion del Sur (Metro- Mendez Alvaro) but I'll put more info up on here if I can before Sunday for you.

I'm pooped & going to bed now [:o)

6. Re: Metro tourist pass + Things to do

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2009, 07:21